CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I bought my house 11 months ago with no issues, after a few months everything metal in the kitchen starting giving me an electric shock when touched. After a few more months this stopped on its own, and has recently started again. We realised that it only happens when not wearing shoes, if that helps. Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thankyou.
 
SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Most faults like this, Although they have the potential to be very dangerous (even fatal)

Are often a simple fix if you have the correct knowledge and equipment to test first, diagnose, fix, TEST AGAIN.
it could be as simple as a cable that is not connected, or broken.
a fault with the distributers supply to your house could also be the cause (they will fix that for free same day)

A professional electrician will tell you what the problem is and who/how it can be fixed and made safe.

depending on how your house is wired and plumbed, it MAY BE THE CASE that if you touch one of the items that is giving you a shock AND a radiator/sink etc. AT THE SAME TIME, especially with wet hands. THE SHOCK COULD BE A LOT WORSE. a couple of hundred people die in the uk from similar accidents in the uk each year.
 
No way of knowing. Ffs get an electrician in soon . Sorry to be blunt. Proper electrician, not a friend who tinkers with stuff.

No way of knowing. Ffs get an electrician in soon . Sorry to be blunt. Proper electrician, not a friend who tinkers with stuff.

Sounds like you may have been without a proper earth for some time. All it takes now is for a live-to-earth fault to happen in an appliance and you may end up dead.
Will do.
 
Most faults like this, Although they have the potential to be very dangerous (even fatal)

Are often a simple fix if you have the correct knowledge and equipment to test first, diagnose, fix, TEST AGAIN.
it could be as simple as a cable that is not connected, or broken.
a fault with the distributers supply to your house could also be the cause (they will fix that for free same day)

A professional electrician will tell you what the problem is and who/how it can be fixed and made safe.

depending on how your house is wired and plumbed, it MAY BE THE CASE that if you touch one of the items that is giving you a shock AND a radiator/sink etc. AT THE SAME TIME, especially with wet hands. THE SHOCK COULD BE A LOT WORSE. a couple of hundred people die in the uk from similar accidents in the uk each year.
I have had an electrician out to it but they couldn't see what the problem was as they were obviously wearing boots. Only thing I don't understand is why it happened months ago, and then stopped for a couple of months and has recently started again. What could cause it to stop for a while and then randomly start again..
 

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
I get a shock whenever I touch my metal socket covers, the sides of the microwave, the toaster, the kettle, the metal front on my oven or any other appliance which I use which is metal. Not from my sink or taps or radiators though.
If it's causing you to worry get an EICR done Electrical Installation Condition Report done. better safe than sorry.
 
I have had an electrician out to it but they couldn't see what the problem was as they were obviously wearing boots. Only thing I don't understand is why it happened months ago, and then stopped for a couple of months and has recently started again. What could cause it to stop for a while and then randomly start again..
What testing did they carry out?
 
I have had an electrician out to it but they couldn't see what the problem was as they were obviously wearing boots. Only thing I don't understand is why it happened months ago, and then stopped for a couple of months and has recently started again. What could cause it to stop for a while and then randomly start again..
As above what testing did they do. Looking for a fault like this you do not intentionally recreate the shock scenario to verify it, you test. The fact it came, went and came back again may well be a lose earthing conductor or cpc.
 

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
ANY FORUM MEMBERS NEAR STOKE??

please offer this new member a site visit.

It is disappointing to hear that you have had someone look at it and you are still none the wiser.

I would expect anyone coming onto a fault like that to start with a simple earth loop test, it will take a few minutes to plug in a tester and find out if there is a good earth connection to the circuit in question.

the most likely outcome is that there is a fault with the wiring in your house, it is also possible that it is from an external source like a buried cable but that is far less likely.

i do know a good spark that is part P registered and lives over your way.
if you want his details then send me a personal message and i will give you Ian's contact details.
 

Reply to Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top