Discuss Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have had an electrician out to it but they couldn't see what the problem was as they were obviously wearing boots. Only thing I don't understand is why it happened months ago, and then stopped for a couple of months and has recently started again. What could cause it to stop for a while and then randomly start again..
What testing did they carry out?

I have had an electrician out to it but they couldn't see what the problem was as they were obviously wearing boots. Only thing I don't understand is why it happened months ago, and then stopped for a couple of months and has recently started again. What could cause it to stop for a while and then randomly start again..
As above what testing did they do. Looking for a fault like this you do not intentionally recreate the shock scenario to verify it, you test. The fact it came, went and came back again may well be a lose earthing conductor or cpc.

ANY FORUM MEMBERS NEAR STOKE??

please offer this new member a site visit.

It is disappointing to hear that you have had someone look at it and you are still none the wiser.

I would expect anyone coming onto a fault like that to start with a simple earth loop test, it will take a few minutes to plug in a tester and find out if there is a good earth connection to the circuit in question.

the most likely outcome is that there is a fault with the wiring in your house, it is also possible that it is from an external source like a buried cable but that is far less likely.

i do know a good spark that is part P registered and lives over your way.
if you want his details then send me a personal message and i will give you Ian's contact details.

I might go for my usual bet of dodgy joint under the pavement where the house feed is tapped off.

Please get a proper spark in. If you ask him if he is 18edition qualified.

as an aside but not giving you any reason for not doing the above :

it could be static electricity where you build up static depending if you are wearing nylon etc. The static is released when you touch a metal surface.

BUT you need to get it checked as a kitchen is not a safe environment if you have an earth fault

Went to fit some dimplex heaters the other day. Customer had already had a go fitting two of them. When I touched the casing I could feel some voltage on it. I said as much to the customer, they felt and said "Oh yeh, never noticed that" So took off the spur and even though he had googled it and took photos of the original heaters wiring....That single 6181y is live btw. That was the end of his career in electrics. No surprise there was a live on the casing. So it can happen a number of ways.

Attachments

• IMG_1220.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 66
Went to fit some dimplex heaters the other day. Customer had already had a go fitting two of them. When I touched the casing I could feel some voltage on it. I said as much to the customer, they felt and said "Oh yeh, never noticed that" So took off the spur and even though he ad googled it and took photos of the original heaters wiring....That single 6181y is live btw. That was the end of his career in electrics. No surprise there was a live on the casing. So it can happen a number of ways.

Takes some doing to get it that wrong!

Had a job like this a few years ago customer reporting shocks from sink or metal appliances for 2 years

I was 7th electrician to look at this and spent 10 mins trying to measure this voltage before I started digging got 70v rising quickly to 120v then settled at 230 ish

found it in a few mins, went to check incoming supply polarity

earthing was originally TT spike still intact and the conductor was still connected into an earth block

I could see it was now TNCS
and outside 10 ft away was a new looking Tx on a pole and supply cable, asked the customer how old it was....
"2 years" .......

Tested polarity nothing unusual and did same again using the TT earth got L and N both at 230v to earth

Called Western Power got them out to check, showed him what I'd found he went straight to the Tx and checked

Lots of muttered excuses about the wind blowing a "Stay" loose in the Tx

I watched him change the connection to tap and said show me the bit that's been blowing about mate
His colleague started laughing and admitted it was connected up wrong.

Reply to Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net