Scolmore Electrical Products
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I bought my house 11 months ago with no issues, after a few months everything metal in the kitchen starting giving me an electric shock when touched. After a few more months this stopped on its own, and has recently started again. We realised that it only happens when not wearing shoes, if that helps. Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thankyou.

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
it disappears into the wall with the T/Es. was dubious about trying to trace in case of disturbing something else.
In my own flat there was some 6mm running from the MET to "somewhere".

Later when a new gas supply & meter was fitted and they had to cut back the rear of the under sink kitchen cupboard for the external pipe coming in (no longer allowed a riser in the building centre) and LO! there was the 6mm coiled up ready to be connected to the cold water pipe.

Clearly they had fitted the kitchen before the sparky had got round to putting on the pipe clamp for extraneous bonding. Had been like that since the 90s I guess.

Mike Johnson

-
Esteemed
Arms
pc1966 I have just upvoted your post by clicking on the arrow on the right hand side, but I have no idea what it does.

Oh just noticed at the top of the page there is an option to sort by date or votes, will that change the order you see the post, could make a nonsense of someone answering a post immediately above?

Dave OCD

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
try and upload a pic of the cable entrys into CU. the 2 wagos are my doing. split 2 separate cpc's and extended into CU. temp. fix as i have quoted for a new CU to be mounted above the cupboard to get some slack on the outgoing cables and connect properly.
It looks to me that the bodged MEM unit could even be a replacement from many years ago as you can see the skimmed round rectangle above where the cables are stripped back looks about the size of a 4 way Wylex ?

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
It looks to me that the bodged MEM unit could even be a replacement from many years ago as you can see the skimmed round rectangle above where the cables are stripped back looks about the size of a 4 way Wylex ?
looked like that to me but probably original was a 6 way. most likely a wood backed wylex, or something even olser. it's a teaaced house, town centre si pre WW2. the MEM board probably went in when it was rewired ( 1980?).as all cables are pvc.

Reply to Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.