Discuss Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

quoted options for dual RCD board or RCBO. customer had a quote for new CU a few months ago, but the guy said the house needed a total rewire as well. . muppet.

Was that the same muppet who was unable to detect this fault recently?
who knows? customer has been in the house 11 months. been getting shocks from soon after moving in.

Just out of interest, where did the other (thin) earth wire go?
been today and fitted a RCBO CU. ( fitted above cabinet with cables dug out higher up to give some wriggle room and get all sheaths inside CU enclosure.) the thin earth wire went behing the old CU, where it was joined to a 6.0mm bonding cable. other end of which was attached to the water intake, as expected. but..... gave it a tug and 3 ft, of it came out of the capping for the water pipes where it had been snipped. last week my reading to the water pipe was 0.84 ohms, apparently it was picking up from the gas at boiler and/or parallel paths through the cpc's. rejoined cable and wander lead got the R to water down to 0.27 ohms. IR tests gave worst reading of 47Meg. r1, r2, rN on ring all good. Zs readings well within limits. Happy sparks and happy customer. 5 hours on site with a mate doing the donkey work and fitting a socket for new washing machine.

Good to hear that is done :)

Seems like there were only one or two small but grossly stupid/dangerous things wrong with an otherwise OK installation, now better than ever!

Always good to hear of this place benefitting people in real time.

been today and fitted a RCBO CU. ( fitted above cabinet with cables dug out higher up to give some wriggle room and get all sheaths inside CU enclosure.) the thin earth wire went behing the old CU, where it was joined to a 6.0mm bonding cable. other end of which was attached to the water intake, as expected. but..... gave it a tug and 3 ft, of it came out of the capping for the water pipes where it had been snipped. last week my reading to the water pipe was 0.84 ohms, apparently it was picking up from the gas at boiler and/or parallel paths through the cpc's. rejoined cable and wander lead got the R to water down to 0.27 ohms. IR tests gave worst reading of 47Meg. r1, r2, rN on ring all good. Zs readings well within limits. Happy sparks and happy customer. 5 hours on site with a mate doing the donkey work and fitting a socket for new washing machine.
Well done Tel.... you sound like every housewife's dream !!

forgot to mention the horrific bodge on a light switch. 3 x T/E 1.0mm and 3 singles extended inside the pannelling round the water piped to sink, using choc blocks and cores stripped out of flex, these chock blocks sitting against the pipes, extended into a 3 gang switch. 2 x 2 way switches for kitchen and landing. 3rd switch had a cpc in L1 and customer wondered why fuse blew when he switched it. no load connected to it. me lad stripped all the shyte out and refitted switch 12" higher up directly onto the T/E and singles. blank plate over old switch position.

I bought my house 11 months ago with no issues, after a few months everything metal in the kitchen starting giving me an electric shock when touched. After a few more months this stopped on its own, and has recently started again. We realised that it only happens when not wearing shoes, if that helps. Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thankyou.
I’m not sure about UK way of doing things and I’m not sure exactly how y’all heat your water but in the US we have water heaters with 2 immersion heating elements and I went to a similar call and 1 element was bad and when you touched any sink, spickets, etc you would get shocked and as above with just socks on your giving it a path to ground. Again we are very different in many ways of how electrical is done

I’m not sure about UK way of doing things and I’m not sure exactly how y’all heat your water but in the US we have water heaters with 2 immersion heating elements and I went to a similar call and 1 element was bad and when you touched any sink, spickets, etc you would get shocked and as above with just socks on your giving it a path to ground. Again we are very different in many ways of how electrical is done
in this case, the house had no earth whatsoever. there were several faults in the installation.

...1 element was bad and when you touched any sink, spickets, etc you would get shocked .... Again we are very different in many ways of how electrical is done
We are quite different yeah... like we don't have "spickets" here... well, not anywhere south of Birmingham anyway.

apparently a spicket is a faucet in US speak. a tap in english. ( the sort that water comes out of, not a threading tool. ).

What a great thread. We don't often get a thread where a forum member has gone around and can then give good feedback. Well done Tel!

Completely agree with @pc1966 . How scary is it that an initial electrician went round and didn't find anything! Frustrating too as you hear this sort of story too often!

So when you initially did a Zs at one of the sockets @telectrix did you get a reading? I'm guessing you must have done as the gas was bonded. Did you discover the 6mm earth was just looped back to the MET by testing or could you just see it?

What a great thread. We don't often get a thread where a forum member has gone around and can then give good feedback. Well done Tel!

Completely agree with @pc1966 . How scary is it that an initial electrician went round and didn't find anything! Frustrating too as you hear this sort of story too often!

So when you initially did a Zs at one of the sockets @telectrix did you get a reading? I'm guessing you must have done as the gas was bonded. Did you discover the 6mm earth was just looped back to the MET by testing or could you just see it?
initially used a socket tester to give an idea. showed fault , so then opened CU and no 6mm to earth bar. tugged on the 6mm from MET and saw the other end looped round behind CU.

Reply to Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock