Discuss Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

There is always a reason. Not always a good reason mind!

Some folks don't check the CPC integrity, and even if it is OK, checking the CPC potential to true Earth (as what is probably under the concrete floor) is not always done.

My only experience of that was a mate's father's home, said he got shocks from the garage door. Turned out no incoming supply earth to MET connection and recently an electric fire was added that the fixing screw managed to puncture the live. Result was whole house at 230V :(

No idea if it was just missing at the start, or some muppet had removed it for whatever reason.

update. went round this morning. this is what i found:
Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. 1605966569601 - EletriciansForums.net

mem rewireable CU. all outgoing cables no sheath inside enclosure, holes in to IP00, could park a bus in them.but the main fault was the 6.0mm main earth cable . comes out of MET up behind CU and instead of connecting to the CU E bar, it loops round and back to MET. cut and connected correctly and fault cleared. then. 1 light circuit had a 30A fuse carrier bodged in ( the blades are thicker, so it was hanging by a thread, just making contact. must have disturbed it when i took the cover off, so then sparks fron the fuse. correct 5A fuse was lying in bottom of cabinet. fitted that with a new fuse wire and lights on no problems. total time on site 90 minutes.

Just out of interest, where did the other (thin) earth wire go?

try and upload a pic of the cable entrys into CU. the 2 wagos are my doing. split 2 separate cpc's and extended into CU. temp. fix as i have quoted for a new CU to be mounted above the cupboard to get some slack on the outgoing cables and connect properly.

Attachments

• Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. biddulph - EletriciansForums.net
    biddulph.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 70
Just out of interest, where did the other (thin) earth wire go?
it disappears into the wall with the T/Es. was dubious about trying to trace in case of disturbing something else.

it disappears into the wall with the T/Es. was dubious about trying to trace in case of disturbing something else.
In my own flat there was some 6mm running from the MET to "somewhere".

Later when a new gas supply & meter was fitted and they had to cut back the rear of the under sink kitchen cupboard for the external pipe coming in (no longer allowed a riser in the building centre) and LO! there was the 6mm coiled up ready to be connected to the cold water pipe.

Clearly they had fitted the kitchen before the sparky had got round to putting on the pipe clamp for extraneous bonding. Had been like that since the 90s I guess.

pc1966 I have just upvoted your post by clicking on the arrow on the right hand side, but I have no idea what it does.

Oh just noticed at the top of the page there is an option to sort by date or votes, will that change the order you see the post, could make a nonsense of someone answering a post immediately above?

try and upload a pic of the cable entrys into CU. the 2 wagos are my doing. split 2 separate cpc's and extended into CU. temp. fix as i have quoted for a new CU to be mounted above the cupboard to get some slack on the outgoing cables and connect properly.
It looks to me that the bodged MEM unit could even be a replacement from many years ago as you can see the skimmed round rectangle above where the cables are stripped back looks about the size of a 4 way Wylex ?

It looks to me that the bodged MEM unit could even be a replacement from many years ago as you can see the skimmed round rectangle above where the cables are stripped back looks about the size of a 4 way Wylex ?
looked like that to me but probably original was a 6 way. most likely a wood backed wylex, or something even olser. it's a teaaced house, town centre si pre WW2. the MEM board probably went in when it was rewired ( 1980?).as all cables are pvc.

Reply to Keep getting electric shocks in kitchen. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock