Get paid faster with card payments | Go Paper Free - Save Hours | Offer Finance to Customers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Kitchen island power requirement change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi All, first post here and looking for a bit of advice. I am planning on having a few changes done to the kitchen island.

wanting to add a quooker tap.

This is what I currently have in place;
Stating at the CU.

40a mcb > 10mm2 t+e > 60a junction box (at island) > 10mm2 t+e > 45amp mk switch > 7.8kw induction hob.

A few years ago when the extension and kitchen was done I asked for the cable to oversized to accommodate future changes incase we wanted extra hence the 10mm cable.

I have had local spark have a look and this is what he a suggested.

Swap over to a 50a mcb split the cable at the island a take a 10mm feed to a 20a switch and add the tap to this.
The spark has said it's a push getting 2 10mm cables into 60a junction box, he has suggesting using either Henley blocks inside an enclosure or using wago din terminals to split the 10mm cable.

I want to known what's the best option not the easiest or cheapest before I go back.

Any advice is much appreciated

Cheers
Matt

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
whatever your electrician decides what is viable and safe. can't see much difference in cost with either option. might be beneficial to add a MCB for the tap circuit instead of a 20A switch.

Mike Johnson

-
Esteemed
Arms
True, but then I would bypass the RCD and have the whole island on RCBO's, but then I would have the whole house on RCBO's, I am a fan of them. Still no smilies, pretend I put one on with a tongue in cheek.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Thanks for your replys, I've just been and checked and the board has 2 80a RCDs fitted if this makes any difference?
that would indicate that all your circuits are RCD protected. half on each RCD. whichever way your electrician decides to proceed will not make much difference to cost.

Reply to Kitchen island power requirement change in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.