Discuss LED bulb true wattage in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

whatts

DIY
Reaction score
I am lighting my workshop with LED's. I had all 13W (1500 lumens) but wanted more light on the benches, so ordered some 23W, which is supposed to be 2500 Lumens, The 23W seemed only slightly brighter than the 13W, if at all, so I tested with a "Kill a Watt" meter. The 13 W showed a true 13 watts, but the supposed "23W" only showed 17 watts. There is a button that sets the meter for either "watts" or "VA" and I set it for watts. I should see a substantial difference between the 1500 lumen bulb and the 2500 lumen bulb, but I tested them independently in separate holders and am not even sure one is brighter than the other. Both are in the 5000K range of light. I sent the first batch back because they measured on 16 watts. No company name on the bulb, and, of course, made in China. My real question is: shouldn't the 23W bulb measure 23 watts on the kill-a-watt meter? I am trying to get a battery for my old camera to use its light meter, but the results won't be in lumens.

above my workbench i have installed a 2' x 2' 40watt panel LED unit (designed for use in a suspended grid ceiling). more than adequate.

I'm with Tel on this...a 600mm square 40 or 50W panel will be plenty, will work for ages, and give you plenty of light if you position it correctly

I think LED lighting is still evolving as we can now buy LED lamps at a lower wattage today than 3 - 5 years ago but the luminous output has gone up.
Bringing colour rendering (k) into the equation brings even more variation.
So don’t pay too much attention to the wattage (which being LED can be pretty insignificant these days) when designing to a specified lighting level.

I think LED lighting is still evolving as we can now buy LED lamps at a lower wattage today than 3 - 5 years ago but the luminous output has gone up.
Bringing colour rendering (k) into the equation brings even more variation.
So don’t pay too much attention to the wattage (which being LED can be pretty insignificant these days) when designing to a specified lighting level.
My problem is this supposed "23w/2500Lumen" bulb doesn't seem any brighter than the 13w bulb, so I'm guessing my reading of 17w is correct. I bought these through Amazon and some of their suppliers "misrepresent" a lot. Thanks for the reply.

My problem is this supposed "23w/2500Lumen" bulb doesn't seem any brighter than the 13w bulb, so I'm guessing my reading of 17w is correct. I bought these through Amazon and some of their suppliers "misrepresent" a lot. Thanks for the reply.
Yes the wattage is often exaggerated on non brand bulbs, the same csn be said of non branded lithium batteries where they make up the capacity. If you cave a light meter you could check but just stick to branded bulbs and you should be fine.

There's rarely a direct correlation between energy consumed and light emitted

I'm closing the thread here. I did thorough testing with a light meter, different angles, direct, different bulbs, and have come to this conclusion: the so-called 23w 2500 lumen led bulbs being sold through Amazon do not put out any more light than my 13 watt led bulbs. Also, they are much lighter in weight than comparable led bulbs I have bought in the past, and I doubt that indicates improved technology; more than likely cheaper/missing materials.

I'm closing the thread here. I did thorough testing with a light meter, different angles, direct, different bulbs, and have come to this conclusion: the so-called 23w 2500 lumen led bulbs being sold through Amazon do not put out any more light than my 13 watt led bulbs. Also, they are much lighter in weight than comparable led bulbs I have bought in the past, and I doubt that indicates improved technology; more than likely cheaper/missing materials.

The quality of some things sold by on line retailers varies a lot. I definitely wouldn't rely on the figures given. If you want to be more certain then buy from a proper electrical wholesalers and buy a known brand.

I don't think anyone doubts that goods of unknown provenance may fail to meet advertiser's claims.

In the UK such matters would be handled by Trading Standards. If a similar body exists in the US, they would be the best people to raise this issue with.

Edit: the real issue is not wattage, but light output. If the lamps in question produced the claimed 2500 lumens, then lower than advertised power consumption would be considered a bonus and you would never have felt compelled to investigate.

Last edited:
"Bought these cheap on Amazon" - Lost count of how many times I've heard this, and how many times/have problems!

A manufacturer's claim of 23 watts should actually test at 23 watts.
This could only be a nominal figure as variations in voltage and load will clearly affect the figure of 23watts you are expecting. We work to a nominal voltage of 230v but rarely is as a tolerance of +10 and -6% is permitted.

Reply to LED bulb true wattage in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock