Discuss Led strip lights on ceilings in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Looking for info on led strip lighting on ceilings with the coving profiles. How would you hide the driver and the cable to the strip light. Would you have the driver above ceiling and just chase the cable from driver to led strip into the wall so it comes out of the wall above the coving.

I'm an apprentice and smart home lighting is something I want to learn.

Also what's best way to do strip lighting for kitchen cabinets? Have a plug and play or have it hardwired and if hardwired what's best way to do this ?

Last edited:

I'm a 3rd year apprentice only doing commercial and industrial work, I'm asking a specific question about lighting so I'm sure the lighting section will do.

Would you have the driver above ceiling and just chase the cable from driver to led strip into the wall so it comes out of the wall above the coving.
you would have to put the driver under the floor boards has long you can get access to it or have the cable long enough to hide the driver some wear else.so it can not been seen .
Also what's best way to do strip lighting for kitchen cabinets?
the best way is to put the driver on top of the wall cabinets and the cable to the strip lights under the wall units .there is a lot to think about designing lighting in some rooms .

What sort of LED strip are you suggesting here? Mostly strips that come on a roll like sellotape are sort of hidden behind something and light up a wall for example, so the driver and the strip itself are hidden. The strips are too bright to be seen directly, and your eyesight will be seeing lines of little dots for hours afterwards.

Or am I confused.

just confused ,keep take the tablets ,you need to go in a dark room and take lie down .:D

It’s because I tried to do “veganuary” ..... those 20 minutes last Tuesday was pure hell.
I’m now trying “gin-uary” ... going well
Can’t wait for “feb-homebrew-ary”

I'm thinking about led strip lights that are not the plug in type. For a pendant you run a cable to a point in the ceiling the cable is hidden, so if I want a led strip above a cabinet or on those coving profiles you can buy would you have say the T+e just coming out of the wall above the profile and into a driver ?

Led strip lights on ceilings Screenshot_20190108-230246_Chrome - EletriciansForums.netso this is the type of lighting designs I want to learn about. I know the strip itself would be hidden in the profile but the led strips will normally have a length of cable going to the driver would that be chased into the wall at the top and have the driver above ceiling and connect supply to that?

Are you on about the connection between the fixed wiring & the wiring/leads to the LED lighting?

If so, normally a suitable JB, I've used Click Flow 102C. Or as is common in new builds, fixed wiring terminated in a flex outlet plate (& back box).

With all LED lighting its best to get the driver as close to the LED strip as possible. If its not possible you can of course place the driver further away but your need to run a larger cable to compensate for volt drop 1.5mm or 2.5mm depending on distance from driver to strip.
Best to avoid long runs of LED strip as volt drop causes the LEDs to drop off (be dimmer) towards the end of the tape. Higher voltage strip is better for longer runs.
with extra long runs ( like round large rooms or swimming pools) sometimes it is necessary to have multiple power supplys which supply amplifiers.
These boost the existing RGBW signals but give a fresh power supply.

Last edited:

Reply to Led strip lights on ceilings in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock