Discuss LED'S keep tripping the RCD when switched off? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have recently replaced 10 old strip lights in a church hall with new LED strip lights.

I ran an insulation test and all seemed good. I switched them on and all seemed good.

I had a call from the vicar to say that they are not working so went back to site to find the MCB had tripped. I retested and all was good. When I reset the MCB they come on. The light switch works fine. They go on and off. After an hour or two the MCB has tripped again.

Something Im missing? They are 60 watt equivalents and I have checked each connection to make sure there is no issue.

Bit at a loss now as to why this keeps happening. The Cons unit is pretty old and Ive tried a different breaker to rule out that. Im guessing it is insulation but not sure as to why when my readings are >500.

Thoughts appreciated

Thanks

is the micc cable in ,and what are the led driver transformers rated vat.

Are you just trying to confuse things, Buzz?

I’m going for 1 or more faulty new fittings. If cables are testing ok, must be whatever is connected.
Are there any other lights or circuit branches off the same mcb? Maybe not your new lights at all.

Are you just trying to confuse things, Buzz?

I’m going for 1 or more faulty new fittings. If cables are testing ok, must be whatever is connected.
Are there any other lights or circuit branches off the same mcb? Maybe not your new lights at all.

Nothing connected as far as I can see - its once cable to a JB then splits into two - 5 down one side of the hall then 5 down the other.

if the op has replace the 10 for led why would he put and a splitting them to a different circuit . he must have a fault on one of the lap C88p gear .
See his response In post #10, manufacturers recommend five fittings per circuit.

Reply to LED'S keep tripping the RCD when switched off? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock