Discuss Level 2 electrical installation course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Matter

DIY
Reaction score
Is this course worthwhile doing to gain electrical knowledge? Has anyone studied it before? Level 2 electrical installation

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-28-17-38-56-86_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 7
level 2 followed by level3. then on to am2 and nvq. that is the standard path to become fully qualified.

So the college told me the same. Level 2 on its own isn't much good. I would need level 3 a 2 year course that I maybe able to get funding for. And then I would need to do the NVQ I think I could get the site evidence for that as I know a few electrians. Would the NVQ only be a year after completing the electrical installation level 3. Thanka

You could attain the NVQ around the same time as completing Level 3, provided you have gathered sufficient evidence for your portfolio.
Ah thanks so you wouldn't have to go to do another course at college to get the NVQ level 3. You could just this all in the work place. Is conjunction with the level 3 diapolma?

Depends what you want to do. Most employers don't recognise these qualifications so after 2 years of study you would be expected to work for mates/apprentices wages while you build up real life experience.

I did level 2 at college and it was a waste of time in terms of gaining knowledge and experience. The other kids were passing and didn't know what an MCB was.

Depends what you want to do. Most employers don't recognise these qualifications so after 2 years of study you would be expected to work for mates/apprentices wages while you build up real life experience.

I did level 2 at college and it was a waste of time in terms of gaining knowledge and experience. The other kids were passing and didn't know what an MCB was.
Thanks so how did you get your qualifications?

Correct apprentice nvq level 2 and 3 one day a week while working as a plumber/gas engineer the other days.

Becoming a qualified electrician is achieved by pretty much the same route, apprenticeship going through the level 2 and 3 with mostly site work under a mentor and some college time.

So would be hard to achieve this on an evening doing the level 2 and 3 diapolmas
Get out there as a 'mate' and start earning half decent money.

Level 2 and 3 at college is gonna cost you 2 years of your life (at least - when the pandemic hit some colleges were put back by 1 or 2 years and some even more - i know lads who started in 2017 and still haven't finished due to that and other problems with staffing, supplies, equipment etc.) and several thousand pounds. Then when you have level 2 and 3 you're not considered qualified by anyone and will be on mate's money anyway.

Then there's the fact that college doesn't actually teach you anything about being a real life spark and only teaches you book-electrics.

Personally i wouldn't go that route and would try to get into the industry another way.

If i were in your shoes i'd go get the BS7671 regs book, copy of the on-site guide and the 'guidance note 3' and go pass your 18th edition. Then get an ECS/CSCS card and the world will open up to you.

Get out there as a 'mate' and start earning half decent money.

Level 2 and 3 at college is gonna cost you 2 years of your life (at least - when the pandemic hit some colleges were put back by 1 or 2 years and some even more - i know lads who started in 2017 and still haven't finished due to that and other problems with staffing, supplies, equipment etc.) and several thousand pounds. Then when you have level 2 and 3 you're not considered qualified by anyone and will be on mate's money anyway.

Then there's the fact that college doesn't actually teach you anything about being a real life spark and only teaches you book-electrics.

Personally i wouldn't go that route and would try to get into the industry another way.

If i were in your shoes i'd go get the BS7671 regs book, copy of the on-site guide and the 'guidance note 3' and go pass your 18th edition. Then get an ECS/CSCS card and the world will open up to you.
Thanks my position is in a plumber/gas engineer wanting to diversify.

Reply to Level 2 electrical installation course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net