Discuss Level 2 electrical installation course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't believe that level 2 had any top level funding (unlike the L3 2365/8203-30 had/has), there may have been local subsidies, I know my local college covered the costs of me ne due to low income but I imagine such a scheme would be local/regional.
Thanks maybe the price has just gone up over the years. Not sure whether I would get funded for the level 3. As I think I read it's if you haven't already got A levels or a level 3. I already have a level 3 in plumbing.

Thanks maybe the price has just gone up over the years. Not sure whether I would get funded for the level 3. As I think I read it's if you haven't already got A levels or a level 3. I already have a level 3 in plumbing.
Not sure, I already held a level 3 qualification (National Diploma Animal Management from 2005) but still qualified for the level 2 funding, my level 3 however I used an adult learner loan

I'd budget £5k for it. Also you need to get in gear if you want to start - college started this week. You'll still be able to get inducted if you hurry.
I have been searching for somewhere to do the level 3 on an evening noone seems to offer it around here.
I'd budget £5k for it. Also you need to get in gear if you want to start - college started this week. You'll still be able to get inducted if you hurry.
Thanks yes I know. I'm struggling to make a decision on it I want to get into electrics as I think the growth potential in the industry over the next couple of decades is huge. The problem being no college offers the level 3 on an evening. Or at all around here. My local college only offers the level 2. Does this open many doors on its own?

I have been searching for somewhere to do the level 3 on an evening noone seems to offer it around here.

Thanks yes I know. I'm struggling to make a decision on it I want to get into electrics as I think the growth potential in the industry over the next couple of decades is huge. The problem being no college offers the level 3 on an evening. Or at all around here. My local college only offers the level 2. Does this open many doors on its own?
You have to do level 2 before level 3, you're not allowed onto level 3 without it. Level 2 isn't worth much on site unfortunately and it won't get you many if any jobs on its own.

You have to do level 2 before level 3, you're not allowed onto level 3 without it. Level 2 isn't worth much on site unfortunately and it won't get you many if any jobs on its own.
While that may be the case with college courses, anyone holding requisite qualifications will start their apprenticeship at level 3.

While that may be the case with college courses, anyone holding requisite qualifications will start their apprenticeship at level 3.
All apprenticeships for electrical installation are Level 3 to begin with. In England, anyway.

To go to college like OP is asking about you cannot skip to Level 3, you have to have Level 2 first.

Apprenticeships begin at level 2 for students who don't gain the required GCSEs.

My point was more about the fact that this should all be weighed on balance...

College route requires time and expense of level 2, which for most people will be a waste of both. While people could follow your advice, fluff up their CV and apply for mate/improver positions, this may still leave them struggling to complete portfolio and gain NVQ. While you clearly have issues with the apprenticeship route for mature learners, my experience has been very different from yours and this at least demonstrates that matters are not so clear cut as one man's experience. I've been exceptionally lucky working mostly in industrial sites, with a decent amount of commercial work and occasionally domestic. My biggest challenge is remembering to take the time to document work, but that's something I need to focus on this year - realistically I could have gathered enough photographic evidence in year one to complete the NVQ portfolio.

As an apprentice your employer undertakes to provide the necessary time and experience required to complete every aspect of that apprenticeship and a suitably motivated apprentice could be through their AM2 in just over 3 years. I'd be curious to know what percentage of those going the college route would pass their AM2 within that timescale.

Apprenticeships begin at level 2 for students who don't gain the required GCSEs.

It sounds like things have become a bit more sensible then, when I did my apprenticeship everyone started at level 2 in the first year.

It was a little frustrating being taught basic science when I have A-levels in physics, chemistry and electronics.

Not in England. An apprenticeship is Level 3 and if you don't have the GCSE's you do core maths and English as separate subjects alongside your other studies. I know because they made me do this at college; despite having A Levels in English and Maths (i did them off my own back as an adult learner with no GCSE's from school) i had to do the Maths and English core skills because i didn't have them in GCSE form.

Whatever 'level 2' you're made to do before the actual apprenticeship i don't know but an actual apprenticeship is Level 3 - you can't do one up to Level 2 and then just stop.

My point was more about the fact that this should all be weighed on balance...

College route requires time and expense of level 2, which for most people will be a waste of both. While people could follow your advice, fluff up their CV and apply for mate/improver positions, this may still leave them struggling to complete portfolio and gain NVQ. While you clearly have issues with the apprenticeship route for mature learners, my experience has been very different from yours and this at least demonstrates that matters are not so clear cut as one man's experience. I've been exceptionally lucky working mostly in industrial sites, with a decent amount of commercial work and occasionally domestic. My biggest challenge is remembering to take the time to document work, but that's something I need to focus on this year - realistically I could have gathered enough photographic evidence in year one to complete the NVQ portfolio.

As an apprentice your employer undertakes to provide the necessary time and experience required to complete every aspect of that apprenticeship and a suitably motivated apprentice could be through their AM2 in just over 3 years. I'd be curious to know what percentage of those going the college route would pass their AM2 within that timescale.
That's what I'm worried about the time and.£1635 cost of the level 2.

Not in England. An apprenticeship is Level 3 and if you don't have the GCSE's you do core maths and English as separate subjects alongside your other studies. I know because they made me do this at college; despite having A Levels in English and Maths (i did them off my own back as an adult learner with no GCSE's from school) i had to do the Maths and English core skills because i didn't have them in GCSE form.

Whatever 'level 2' you're made to do before the actual apprenticeship i don't know but an actual apprenticeship is Level 3 - you can't do one up to Level 2 and then just stop.

Here it is still treated as an apprenticeship, but those who begin at level 2 will need an extra year to complete. I didn't know that GB had effected this change in a different manner, but my core point remains about colleges mandating level 2 being a waste of time and money for many learners.

That's what I'm worried about the time and.£1635 cost of the level 2.

I've never seen a college option that doesn't require level 2, but the only way of avoiding this (without being able to demonstrate 5 years experience) is by going the apprenticeship route.

Here it is still treated as an apprenticeship, but those who begin at level 2 will need an extra year to complete. I didn't know that GB had effected this change in a different manner, but my core point remains about colleges mandating level 2 being a waste of time and money for many learners.

I've never seen a college option that doesn't require level 2, but the only way of avoiding this (without being able to demonstrate 5 years experience) is by going the apprenticeship route.
I should learn at least something on the level 2? I would then have to hope a local college starts doing a level 3 course

I know some one who has the level 2 electrical installation diapolma. And he went on and did his inspection and testing so the level 2 must open some doors?

I know some one who has the level 2 electrical installation diapolma. And he went on and did his inspection and testing so the level 2 must open some doors?
There are different testing and inspection quals. One is the 2392 which is basically worthless and not recognised but it's a good primer for the 2391 which is the other one. That can be split into parts - 2391-50 which is initial verification, 2391-51 which is periodic inspection, and the 2391-52 which is both combined.

Reply to Level 2 electrical installation course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net