Discuss Light Switch Advice - Help Needed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

cortex101

Hi,

I've just bought a Belkin Wemo light switch to begin some home automation. I'm trying to fit the switch in my hallway which has a switch at each end.

The wires going into the switch I intend to change haven't been labelled and I'm not sure what each one is because they don't seem colour coded. I'm trying to work out which wires I need to connect from the wall to the wires on the new Belkin switch.

Here are some images:

I've labelled the wires by number following what numbers they go into on the current switch. There's also some green and blue wires that I've included in the images below. Do you know what they are?

Current Setup: http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/h3TZTTn.jpg
New Belkin Switch: http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/LpMEWuM.jpg
Green & Blue Wires: http://i.Upload the image directly to the thread.com/TpvDSuf.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Okay, it looks like your original switch is a 2-way switch which is used when there's 2 separate switches controlling a single light circuit like a hall, stairs and landing arrangement. The new switch doesn't look like it's going to work, it's a normal switch. You'll probably need to take it back and exchange it for a 2-way.

Looking on the bright side though, your new switch looks like it will need a neutral and earth and lucky for you the supply was looped in and out of the switch box so your neutral and earth are available already without any rewiring.

will suggest to get an electrician to come and sort it out. not a big job and he will know what those green and blue wires do...
by the way looks like your new switch is only 1-way switch, if it goes in the hallway you will loose the switching on the other end.

as marvo says. it appears that you'll need to fit the belkin switch to the position with the blue cables. if you post your location, sure a member spark is close to you. it's only a quick job.

Cool, thanks for all the help. Won't try and tackle it myself.

Am in Guildford, Surrey. Anyone able to come out tomorrow please PM me.

Cheers,
Tom

Did you happen to buy that switch from eBay. Appears to be 120v and US and Canada certifications ?

And 'fire nuts' included in the kit.

Last edited:
I bought it off Amazon. I take it I'm not going to get this working on a UK system then?

mache well spotted with that 120V rating on the blurry picture.
230V voltage in UK will most likely fry the internal electronics in the switch.

It will probably work to replace a normal light switch, it won't work as a replacement for a 2-way switch like the one you removed in the photo above.

Reply to Light Switch Advice - Help Needed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net