Discuss Live sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Presumably whoever worked on the install knew they hadn't found the fault, and knew they had left it in a dangerous state. Wonder who it was? Daz

Yes. Same place electric will. Although from the CU I can see that the sockets are in fact not a ring.

Phil D, but how about if there is an earth/neutral fault in the washing machine, couldn't that make the socket screws and any other appliance plugged in to be live? (I don't follow why the socket screws and other appliances are not live unless the washing machine is plugged in). Surely just a straightforward earth fault in the circuit would mean that they sockets stay live all the time?
some washers have a device in them which does give a slight leakage to earth but if its putting a voltage on earthed metalwork,socket screws,appliances etc then the earth is down somewhere along the line.

How about going back to basics and removing all socket fronts checking connections and doing some basic tests and see what the results come up with!

Sorry for being sarcastic just feeling that way out! :vanish:

and everybody stop bickering!

How about going back to basics and removing all socket fronts checking connections and doing some basic tests and see what the results come up with!

Sorry for being sarcastic just feeling that way out! :vanish:

and everybody stop bickering!
Now then Kath sounds like you feel like giving out a few neon drivers.lol:13:
:wink::wink::wink:

Thanks for the replies. It turns out to be a fault with a separate appliance which was plugged in (washing machine). When unplugged, the fault in the sockets (ie live sockets) disappears.

If the socket covers or screwsare giving shocks then you need to be looking for two separate faults. Firstly there's a problem with the earthing of the circuit which is allowing the touch voltage of the cpc to rise. Secondly there's an insulation fault ether on the wiring or in an appliance. You need to run a range of tests to localise and repair both these faults. If you're not sure about the tests or don't have the testing equipment it's time to phone someone who does. With the combination of faults you have on this circuit there's a high likelyhood someone using the installation could get injured or killed.

i will even label it spoon and god help anyone who uses it for anything different!
Had some new SOPs come in last week or so for some of the kit we're installing nationally, can't mention any names. They recommended checking the AC supply was dead using a 'wand', therefore all the lectures and stories I've heard about safe isolation and contact testers must be wrong. Best dig my neon out of the spoon drawer... :lol:

Buy a new one? ........ BUY A NEW ONE ????!!!!!!! ............... on MY pension??? :angry_smile::censored::cuss::32:

sshhh, didn't you know you can get 4 days wear out of your undies, right way round, wrong way round, and same again inside out, that should save on your washing bills! :clap:

Reply to Live sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net