Discuss Live sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

For the cost of your trip you could have hired a tester and have the job done...

Even without the correct tools you could have done some basic safe isolation and had a visual check of all connections on the circuit to check for damaged insulation etc.

Hi all,

I'm new here, so please go easy :yes:. Would appreciate some assistance though.

I've just been around to my mums and go a little buzzing type shock from the toaster. I only had my electrical testing screwdriver with me as i'm miles away from home. The screws are indeed live for this socket as well as for a neighbouring socket. Verified that it is a ring from the DU, and have killed the circuit.

I've checked the earth connections to the sockets and they are fine. Any ideas on how i can test and fix this up in quick time with no equipment. I know that really should have been carrying my Kewteck multifunction :6:.

Thanks
is there any class 1 stuff other than the sockets?..things that are `out of reach`..such as luminaires?.....`test` them?....how do you know the fault is on this final?...i assume it buggered off as soon as you isolated the supply to it?.....and it could of course be an appliance..(plugged in or connected)...not necessarily the toaster...

Neon screwdrivers are the devils work and should be banned.

I take it there is no rcd, check they live conductors insulation isn't damaged check the ze, could be too high for the fuse/mcb to trip
With all this health and safety fuss I am surprised you still can buy them.

By your mum a new toaster, job done. Better to be safe than sorry.
It would be better to get her off the bread completely. To much bread ain't good for you. Buy her a nice healthy breakfast cereal like muesli or bran flakes, to get the bowels moving. Then the risk of electric shock will be gone as nobody will be using the toaster?

Failing that, continue with the cooked bread diet and get hold of a tester to see what's going on. Find and fix the fault and sit back with toast and marmite, Mmmmmm :)

If you arrive in a situation where you have no test gear and a urgent situation arises,there is usually a basic voltage tester available, it will give you good indication of faults and earthing problems

Yes,its the long forgotten set of test lamps,(in a past life it could have been the Hallway pendant) its available in most homes who have that new fangled electric lighting

It would be better to get her off the bread completely. To much bread ain't good for you. Buy her a nice healthy breakfast cereal like muesli or bran flakes, to get the bowels moving. Then the risk of electric shock will be gone as nobody will be using the toaster?

Failing that, continue with the cooked bread diet and get hold of a tester to see what's going on. Find and fix the fault and sit back with toast and marmite, Mmmmmm :)

I would rather leave the fault where it is & risk the electric shock than eat Marmite !!!

Thanks for the replies. It turns out to be a fault with a separate appliance which was plugged in (washing machine). When unplugged, the fault in the sockets (ie live sockets) disappears. Going to have to open it up and check the earth is where it should be.

But hang on if you are getting a shock off the earths then there is obviously an earthing issue,if the wiring was earthed then it would go down to earth not make other equipment live!

No idea yet. It was across the country. So I disconnected the washing machine until I can defintely test this w/e. I'm assuming it is an earth fault loop as the socket screws are not live unless the washing machine is plugged in.

But hang on if you are getting a shock off the earths then there is obviously an earthing issue,if the wiring was earthed then it would go down to earth not make other equipment live!

Agreed !!

That's the whole point in having an earth .....

....................... isn't it ?? :whatchutalkingabout :confused5:

Yes. Same place electric will. Although from the CU I can see that the sockets are in fact not a ring.

Phil D, but how about if there is an earth/neutral fault in the washing machine, couldn't that make the socket screws and any other appliance plugged in to be live? (I don't follow why the socket screws and other appliances are not live unless the washing machine is plugged in). Surely just a straightforward earth fault in the circuit would mean that they sockets stay live all the time?

never thought of using it as a tea stirrer, will save the next one instead of putting it straight in the bin!
they are not for either of those uses,you are supposed to give them to people you dont like,then they think you like them and hey you may get lucky,and get your wish.

Yes. Same place electric will. Although from the CU I can see that the sockets are in fact not a ring.

Phil D, but how about if there is an earth/neutral fault in the washing machine, couldn't that make the socket screws and any other appliance plugged in to be live? (I don't follow why the socket screws and other appliances are not live unless the washing machine is plugged in). Surely just a straightforward earth fault in the circuit would mean that they sockets stay live all the time?

Please excuse me asking this, but I can no longer contain my curiosity: Are you an electrician?

Reply to Live sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net