Discuss Looking for "additional" functionality in PIR operated LED bulbs in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

EalingBadger

-
Arms
Reaction score
Driven by the recent colossal hikes in the cost of electricity I hit upon the wizard wheeze of replacing some of the existing LED bulbs in our own house with PIR triggered ones - especially in regularly but lightly trafficked areas such as the hall where we tend to turn on the lights and leave them on until close of play late in the evening but otherwise just quickly pass through it on the way from the kitchen to the sitting room (perhaps with both hands full at the time hence it is convenient not to have to operate the lights manually).

The new additions have been a great hit but there is a limitation that is on occasion irritating and at times even potentially dangerous and that is that the triggered illumination times out after 30 seconds. Perfectly fine if one is simply traversing the area but very annoying if one needs to spend longer in the area (perhaps to load / unload the airing cupboard for example) and the light turns off because one is not facing the PIR sensor built into the bottom of the bulb.

Now it seems to me that a simple way around this limitation is to source a bulb that can be instructed to remain permanently on by flicking the wall switch on, off, then on again in quick succession.

Back in the day there were (and quite likely still are) security "dongles" that one could install betwixt the pendant socket and the bulb that would behave in this way. A simple "on" at the switch would arm the device which would then randomly illuminate the bulb thereafter in order to give the impression that the premises were occupied. On, off, and then on again would override this behaviour and keep the bulb illuminated 100% of the time. Very convenient.

What I am looking for is a PIR bulb with this simple control algorithm built in.

So, a simple "on" would enable PIR mediated illumination but an on, off, on sequence would cause the lamp to remain lit 100% of the time.

Does anybody know of such a product please?

TL;DR
Does anybody know of a source for LED bulbs with embedded PIR sensors that can nevertheless also be instructed to remain lit 100% of the time by flicking the wall switch on, off, and then on again?
Before I switch into search mode are these E.S (27) or Bayonet Cap?

Have you though of making the wearing of LED head torches mandatory in the household,, purely for safety??

Everthing seems to be "Smart" nowadays and needs an App, so flicking the switch On/Off is now Old School and confined to the Smart Bin.

Last edited:

Reply to Looking for "additional" functionality in PIR operated LED bulbs in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net