Discuss Main switch burnt out beyond repair in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

maffa ent

Morning all,

been asked to to look at an old fusebox (Wylex) where the main switch has been burnt away due to a loose incoming live tail connection.

obviously no spares are available, so it's deffo gonna be a new unit. Ordinarily I know this would mean a full eicr before changing the unit, but I simply haven't got time, until after Christmas?

Could it be replaced now, and the testing be limited to some very basic items for now?

When the thorough eicr is finally carried out, what happens if there are any code 1 or 2's?

ie on a system that I've already connected to the new unit, just to get power back on?

It's not much good installing a new CU without testing before you start.

You cannot change a CU without at least ensuring that the existing circuits are safe to reconnect, this can be done as part of the change if you are pushed for time, but may cause problems if there are faults.
You could perhaps fit a standalone switch as a temporary measure.

Morning.

If you have been asked to carry out a full EICR then you'll have to do so, but there is no requirement to carry out an EICR before undertaking a CU change and I think it would be quite excessive to do so.

Below is a link to a 'sticky' thread which gives some good suggestions as to what should be carried out prior to a CU change.

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...ctrical-regulations/12971-cu-changes-you.html

I personally take a checklist form with me and carry out the following (see below) before conducting the CU change, it probably takes around an hour as opposed to a EICR which could take up to a day!

View attachment Cu checklist.pdf

Why change the board at all now ? Unless there so too much damage to the Wylex BS 3036 and it is now dangerous

Would it be possible with the design of the board to Class it as a Distribution Panel and fit an external switch in an enclosure?

As long as the switch conforms to 537.1.4 just as a temporary measure. Also it is not notifiable as it is classed as an emergency repair.

Morning.

If you have been asked to carry out a full EICR then you'll have to do so, but there is no requirement to carry out an EICR before undertaking a CU change and I think it would be quite excessive to do so.

Below is a link to a 'sticky' thread which gives some good suggestions as to what should be carried out prior to a CU change.

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...ctrical-regulations/12971-cu-changes-you.html

I personally take a checklist form with me and carry out the following (see below) before conducting the CU change, it probably takes around an hour as opposed to a EICR which could take up to a day!

View attachment 30865

Do you not effectively carry one out with the board change anyway? I always give them a full set of results on the EIC, no different to what they would get with an EICR.

Do you not effectively carry one out with the board change anyway? I always give them a full set of results on the EIC, no different to what they would get with an EICR.

Not really. Completing the schedule of tests form is 'part' of both an EIC and an EICR, but that is only a part of both of them. The other paperwork for both the EIC and EICR are different. I carry out all the required tests for the schedule of test results form after I have carried out the CU change. I carry out some basic tests (shown in my checklist) in my pre-work survey.

Last edited:
So once the pre change tests are done, and you have the job, it doesn't make any difference if you do the testing before or after the change. I tend to dead test it when I'm putting the board together and do the live tests when it's been energised. Just find it easier that way.

i take out the bits from scrapped consumer units, may come handy at some time, if not can always be weighted in for brass.
you can try to source one from fleabay, replace it as a temporary measure and come back when you are ready for upgrading the board.

@OP. post a pic. some of us have spare main switches/busbars etc. for these wylex CUs. simple job to swap it to get the installation going pending the CU upgrade.

Thanks for the advice / replies up to now!

Spoke to area Nic engineer today, who advised the same a most of you re 'basic' inspection and some testing with the board change, then go back to do more thorough testing when more time available.

also spoke to customer and advised that the unit change, and inspection and test, would have to go hand in hand, and the fact that it's a 'distressed change' makes little difference. To be honest this is the way I was trying to progress the job, as I'll have peace of mind that all is good when I complete the work.

They're impressed with my attention to detail, and unwillingness to cut corners, and have agreed to whatever is necessary being done, along with associated costs .

I shall all have a re-read of the 'best practise guide' and book it in for asap!

carry out the tests beforehand, you might have accessories/sockets not earthed, non rings, sockets off lights etc, exposed cables and sub std stuff that you usually find when walking around carrying out pre-tests, you could argue that it was already like that, but if there was a problem, its your name on the line, they might not let you back for the testing ? i know we sometimes like to help people out, but its your name on the line

So do these people have no power?

Exactly what I was thinking. Can't believe people would be left with no power in this situation.
I've had 1 where the whole neutral block burnt out on a Friday evening. Changed board and got back on temporary lights cooker and a temp socket by board. went back next day to test fully.
The installation was fine in this case but they were very happy to have anything back on overnight rather than wait around for blokes to give their opinions on the Internet

Reply to Main switch burnt out beyond repair in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock