Discuss Maths needed as a spark? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

I am potentially going to be starting an apprenticeship in September and wanted to know if anybody can tell me what specific maths I will need to know as an electrician?

I don’t want to start and struggle throughout the programme hence why I’m asking now so I can get ahead.

Thanks

As above, ohms law and the power triangle is a must to learn and transpose between as well as converting between different measurement units such as W to kW, mA to A etc.

You will be using a calculator quite a bit, using formulas which include squared, square root etc to get results

You will also do a lot of trigonometry, sohcahtoa, sin, cos, tan, hypotenuse etc. to work out distances / angles when working with conduit, trunking and tray

I can't say I know what the usual sparky exams need, but in practice you need basic stuff as above, and sometimes a bit of geometry as well with for phasor maths in some AC problems, or more likely (as above) for working out how to fit stuff in to places.

You should also try and get a good mental grasp of roughly what to expect as an answer. Many mistakes are simple things like being out by a factor of 10 or 1000, and if you know what a typical/reasonable answer is then you can spot a mistake and double check your calculations.

That is also good advice for exams and general practice - write down the step you take to get to the answer so when mistakes are made it can be found and useful feedback provided so neat time you get it right.

Hi all

I am potentially going to be starting an apprenticeship in September and wanted to know if anybody can tell me what specific maths I will need to know as an electrician?

I don’t want to start and struggle throughout the programme hence why I’m asking now so I can get
Make sure you're ok with SI units.
Try to google some electrical calculations and see whether it's your cup of tea, I won't worry too much. You'll be having classroom day so you can learn all that stuff.
Jump on the boat while you can.

Hi all

I don’t want to start and struggle throughout the programme hence why I’m asking now so I can get ahead.

Thanks
Do you struggle with basic maths? If not then you will be fine, nothing really to worry about.

If you do, then mention this to your training provider to see what support they might be able to offer in conjunction with the electrical course you intend to do.

You will also do a lot of trigonometry, sohcahtoa, sin, cos, tan, hypotenuse etc. to work out distances / angles when working with conduit, trunking and tray

In 20 years of doing this I don't think I've ever used any of that for working with tray, trunking or conduit!

And yes I do work with steel trunking nd conduit on a regular basis.

Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

In 20 years of doing this I don't think I've ever used any of that for working with tray, trunking or conduit!

And yes I do work with steel trunking nd conduit on a regular basis.

Have I been doing it wrong all these years?

I just stated what they teach you in college and what he can expect

A lot of it isn't needed and there are different ways of doing things but I still use some of it especially when working out offsets for conduit sets

Even a lot of the cable calculations are rarely needed in domestic work, a quick check of the OSG tables and assessment of probably cable length in the building will do. But you are still expected to understand and be able to them!
Often my trainees have complained about having to do certain things during training that they probably will never use again. However, I always point out that, especially so when inspection and testing and/or designing a slightly different than common install that having an understanding of how to calculate is very important, but more important, having the understanding of why readings, figures, etc.. they get from tables in the regs are what they are, and the potential consequences should they not be met.

I was having a conversation with one the other day around R1 & R2, ze & zs readings. Explaining to him why they have to meet a certain criteria. He was doing some college work around calculating some of the readings and was complaining that he could just measure them.

I'm not sure how they teach these days but back in my day we would get a full explanation of how to and most importantly an in depth explanation of why !

Reply to Maths needed as a spark? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net