Discuss Maximum Branches from Socket on Radial that's acceptable. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
What would be the maximum amount of Branches from a Socket on a Radial that you would find acceptable?

I've seen 4

I'm not talking about Design or being Tidy or keeping it nice for testing but how many would you say No that's just too many?

Last edited:
Are you referring to sockets on a spur off a ring final circuit

As far as i understand it, if it is an unfused spur then only 1 double gang socket is permitted

If using a F.C.U then I think you can have as many as you like as the cable is over load protected by the fuse in the F.C.U.

If more sockets are added to an unfused spur there is no overload protection for the cable, and it can be easily overloaded and is therefore a fire risk

If it is a radial circuit, then the practical limit will be the maximum conductors that can be terminated in a socket's terminals. Other limits are the total load on the added branches, given the maximum current set by the Circuit Protection Device.

Agreed. It doesn’t matter as long as the cable and OCPD are correct.
One in, one out is best practice.

a lighting circuit is a radial. Looping in at switch or ceiling rose is designed as one in, one out.... but the old JB could have any number of switches being fed from one live cable

Personally 1 or 2. This is very common in French wiring systems and presents a cauchemare as the French say in terms of testing, so the less the better I would say. I am not aware of any limit in BS7671 to branches in radial circuits. If you are discussing Ring Final Circuits there is a nice diagram showing how many spurs one can add to such a circuit which is finite.

Personally 1 or 2. This is very common in French wiring systems and presents a cauchemare as the French say in terms of testing, so the less the better I would say. I am not aware of any limit in BS7671 to branches in radial circuits. If you are discussing Ring Final Circuits there is a nice diagram showing how many spurs one can add to such a circuit which is finite.
There is a limit isn't there in France? or other European Country's?

Reply to Maximum Branches from Socket on Radial that's acceptable. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net