Discuss Megger 1730 have I done the correct thing? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SensesFailYou

Hi firstly I'm new to the forum and understand there will be a few topics in the past on this so sorry in advance.

Iv just bought a new test meter and it comes tomorrow having a job to test later in the week. My old boss has always used Metrel testers and they seemed great but I always fancied a fluke or megger. I decided to go for a megger 1730 with the onsite software but having read reviews they seemed to be really mixed with alot saying the flukes are better and meggers seem to have problems giving varied readings. It was a ---- up between the fluke 1654B and the megger I ordered. Have I maid a good decision as I want a tester that will last for years and most importantly be accurate reliable and effective.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give. Keep or return for a fluke?

Gary

The Meggers are reliable. It's leads which can be unreliable with any tester, and the Fluke has a worse reputation than most for poor leads.

Hi Gary,

The 1730 is a great tester, but it has some limitations. Not going to go into them all again, but look up this MFT on the site and there is plenty to read.

Keep. Providing you ignore the dubious value of Zref, R1+R2 and two wire loop testing, the release of firmware version 2.01 appears to be stable and have the MFTs working the way they should have done at their release a year ago. Any further updates to the firmware should only be the occasional optimisation tweaks from now on; time will tell.
Don't expect too much from the Onsite software, it has a long learning curve because it's not intuitive. Some love it, but most including myself loath it. Don't be fooled, the Fluke system is only marginally easier to use. I find pen and paper quicker, and far less hassle than either system. If you really want to use the Onsite software, do the Megger Onsite course which speeds the learning process, but even then it's far from 'plain sailing'.

Keep. Providing you ignore the dubious value of Zref, R1+R2 and two wire loop testing, the release of firmware version 2.01 appears to be stable and have the MFTs working the way they should have done at their release a year ago. Any further updates to the firmware should only be the occasional optimisation tweaks from now on; time will tell.

Has the software not ironed out those functions? kind of off putting to some extent having a machine that you cant use every function to its full extent or that will not give true and accurate readings? I have briefly looked at the Zref function and as i take it it stores the Ze value and then once you have done the R1+R2 test it then gives you the Zs calculation using the manually calculation as apposed to actually testing it at the furthest points etc? Is it a case of doing the Ze separate then the R1+R2 separate and seeing if the 2 methods are the same? (See if the test meter is getting the same?)

I feel the general consensus is to keep the megger? Big decisions when your spending so much money on something you would expect the company s to have a fully functional accurate machine.

It's always best to conduct a three wire loop test where possible, as the neutral conductor will enable the tester to give a more accurate reading. However, 2.01 has fixed problems with inconsistant resistance values using the 2 wire loop test function, as well as the reported problems with tripping certain brands of RCD using the low current (anti trip) loop test setting.

It's the other way round - the R1+R2 value will be calculated by the tester as it deducts the Ze (Zref) from the Zs value. This test is conducted by selecting the R1+R2 test on the rotary dial. I'd keep the Megger, it's just a shame that consumer confidence in a brand such as Megger seems to have been knocked by the recent problems in the 17XX test range. Rest assured, from the 2.01 version of testers we have been selling, we have had no adverse feedback so far!

It's always best to conduct a three wire loop test where possible, as the neutral conductor will enable the tester to give a more accurate reading. However, 2.01 has fixed problems with inconsistant resistance values using the 2 wire loop test function, as well as the reported problems with tripping certain brands of RCD using the low current (anti trip) loop test setting.

It's the other way round - the R1+R2 value will be calculated by the tester as it deducts the Ze (Zref) from the Zs value. This test is conducted by selecting the R1+R2 test on the rotary dial. I'd keep the Megger, it's just a shame that consumer confidence in a brand such as Megger seems to have been knocked by the recent problems in the 17XX test range. Rest assured, from the 2.01 version of testers we have been selling, we have had no adverse feedback so far!

good news, just sent you guys an e-mail as i want the new version, hope you can help...

My real complaint is that I had a pre-2.01 model and was not warned about the inconsistent results by anyone. It felt like a "keep quiet, sell as many as possible and hope nobody complains" mentality.
Don't get me wrong, I love my 1730 now, and I understand the limitations of the 2-wire, no-trip test. I just wish there had been something in the documentation to begin with. I also feel annoyed that it took a few e-mails to Megger before they actually gave me a proper explanation.

Got the tester just this moment looks good but the case looks appalling and not too much space or organisation which i always want. Does anyone know if the fluke case will be ideal for the megger and keep it secure and in position while housed in it? also is it worth buying new test leads for it and which would you go for it? Having read rumors the meggers test leads are poor?

Also I see the fluke case has no padding in the bottom do any of you guys with mergers in these use foam for additional padding or just leave it sat in the bottom? I sound bad with the padding issue I just like to try and ensure the unit will stay as perfect as possible haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Megger 1730 have I done the correct thing? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock