Discuss Megger 1730 won't complete IR dead test at any range in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
As title, playing with test rig and running through dead tests; conductor continuity passes fine but if I try and do any range IR test it just won't have it.

I've tested the dead short to verify leads are ok and they are, I can't figure out why it's not running the test, it's a dead rig so no voltage present.

Any ideas before I send off for the electricians version of a prostate exam?

As title, playing with test rig and running through dead tests; conductor continuity passes fine but if I try and do any range IR test it just won't have it.

I've tested the dead short to verify leads are ok and they are, I can't figure out why it's not running the test, it's a dead rig so no voltage present.

Any ideas before I send off for the electricians version of a prostate exam?
give me a ring. easier to see what;s wrong than on forum.

give me a ring. easier to see what;s wrong than on forum.
I'm a Muppet, forgot to link out the conductors at the CU, Linked L-E followed by L-N and got results.

There's barely any cable length so readings weren't high but could confirm part polarity.

In my defence; since this lockdown started my "college head" has completely switched off, I'm trying to get it going again.

Am I right in thinking that I can get a 20A HRC fuse to replace the 80A one in the salvaged service head? Plan to replace what is currently the split concentric for a length of Artic Flex and throw a 13A plug on the end, just to give it power so I can practice other tests.... remembering a jumper where applicable of course

Am I right in thinking that I can get a 20A HRC fuse to replace the 80A one in the salvaged service head? Plan to replace what is currently the split concentric for a length of Artic Flex and throw a 13A plug on the end, just to give it power so I can practice other tests.... remembering a jumper where applicable of course
Do you have a working 80A fuse?
If you are putting a 13A plug on then it won't matter if the head has 20A or 80A!

I'm a Muppet, forgot to link out the conductors at the CU, Linked L-E followed by L-N and got results.

There's barely any cable length so readings weren't high but could confirm part polarity.

In my defence; since this lockdown started my "college head" has completely switched off, I'm trying to get it going again.
Got me foxed. What has linking out, as per continuity test, got to do with IR testing?

Do you have a working 80A fuse?
If you are putting a 13A plug on then it won't matter if the head has 20A or 80A!
i can let you have a 20A switch disconnector to use instead of that service head. trhat would be easier. like this one but 20A MCB instead of a fuse.
Megger 1730 won't complete IR dead test at any range 1587367421838 - EletriciansForums.net

This doesn't make much sense, can you expand on what you mean by this?

IR testing doesn't normally require any L-E link to be made, and only requires a L-N link if an existing circuit and you can't be sure you've disconnected all loads.

Also IR readings should be very high, ideally they would be infinite resistance.

If you are linking LE that is r1r2 test, not IR i dearly those conductors need to be separated, with the exemption of loads to circuit then link LN to E for IR test.
[automerge]1587394417[/automerge]
And you want high readings, off scale is the goal.

Reply to Megger 1730 won't complete IR dead test at any range in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock