Discuss Microwaves and kettles all failed Class 1 test in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Testing figure 8 mains leads anyone?
Well, at least it will test if the fuse has blown ?

Just read the specs of this tester. Earth bond is only at 200mA. Hardly worth the effort. You need at least 10A the blow the cobwebs away. I'm not a lover of these very basic units.

Just read the specs of this tester. Earth bond is only at 200mA. Hardly worth the effort. You need at least 10A the blow the cobwebs away. I'm not a lover of these very basic units.
So how can they sell the product as suitable for Class 1 testing?

I think 200mA is pretty much all any of the battery units offer.

Do they still make the mains powered testers that could do several/tens of amps bond checks?

EDIT: Yes they do, such as Martindale EasyPAT 1600, Megger PAT320, Seaward Supernova Elite, etc. But cheapest seems to be £400-ish

Last edited:

Do you have the code of practice? This will tell you the specification of the tests for different appliances.

Obviously your course should have covered this as well, but you should also have the latest (5th) edition of the COP.

for what bit of PAT I do, i use a Seaward 1500X, basic no frills tester. £60 2nd hand in 2008. does the job, 20A earth bond, blows the dust off.

I had to explain to a guy working for a pat testing company that the live and neutral were connected together during the test, so no point doing the IR test. And also as you say the polarity issue!

He was happily pressing test and waiting for the pass light each time ?
IR testing of class II equipment-

Copisitee edition 5 page 73 - "when testing insulation resistance on a Class II appliance, the test probe should be connected to any metal parts or suspect joints in the enclosure where conductive material may have accumulated. This may require multiple tests."

Also page 72 the limits for insulation resistance test values for Class II equipment are given as 2.0 MOhm.

IR testing of class II equipment-

Copisitee edition 5 page 73 - "when testing insulation resistance on a Class II appliance, the test probe should be connected to any metal parts or suspect joints in the enclosure where conductive material may have accumulated. This may require multiple tests."

Also page 72 the limits for insulation resistance test values for Class II equipment are given as 2.0 MOhm.

My post was specifically about figure-8 mains lead testing though.

From the code of practice edition 5, page 71-

"In practice the low current test will, if carried out correctly, identify a weak earth connection and a battery-powered test instrument that carries out a low current test at either 100 mA or 200 mA will be sufficient for the vast majority of situations. However, the operator should be aware of the practicalities of both methods; a high current test may give a more reliable reading when testing some equipment".

Also, from page 70 -

"The high current test may be appropriate for equipment where a solid connection can be made to the exposed-conductive-parts with the test probe, such as extension leads. This test may identify a weak or corroded earth connection, either by making the connection fail or by heating it up so that the resistance measurement can be observed to increase during the test. However, this test should not be routinely carried out on delicate or sensitive equipment (especially IT or AV equipment), and if done, care should be taken to ensure that parallel earth paths internally are not damaged".

So in most cases the battery-powered tester will be sufficient. But it's down to the operator to make that call. Therefore, perhaps more training is required for an operator to enable them to make that judgement.

I used a Seaward PAT 250 handheld tester for the very small amount of PAT testing I do. But I would, in all honesty prefer a mains powered tester, which gives me both options.

"In practice the low current test will, if carried out correctly, identify a weak earth connection and a battery-powered test instrument that carries out a low current test at either 100 mA or 200 mA will be sufficient for the vast majority of situations. However, the operator should be aware of the practicalities of both methods; a high current test may give a more reliable reading when testing some equipment".

Also, from page 70 -

"The high current test may be appropriate for equipment where a solid connection can be made to the exposed-conductive-parts with the test probe, such as extension leads. This test may identify a weak or corroded earth connection, either by making the connection fail or by heating it up so that the resistance measurement can be observed to increase during the test. However, this test should not be routinely carried out on delicate or sensitive equipment (especially IT or AV equipment), and if done, care should be taken to ensure that parallel earth paths internally are not damaged".

So in most cases the battery-powered tester will be sufficient. But it's down to the operator to make that call. Therefore, perhaps more training is required for an operator to enable them to make that judgement.

I used a Seaward PAT 250 handheld tester for the very small amount of PAT testing I do. But I would, in all honesty prefer a mains powered tester, which gives me both options.

Useful info for the OP. I prefer doing the high current bond test on extension cables, etc..

Also, from page 70 -

Thank you - much appreciated

My preference is a Seaward Supernova plus. Great old beast. Bit on the heavy side but don't have to lug it around far. Most of the testing I do (which is only around once every six months) is 110v and the Supernova is one of the few that will power up 110v equipment while plugged into a 230v socket. I like the ability to download the tests and just print out or upload the result to the office. Also use a Megger 420 but nowhere near as good as the Seaward.

Reply to Microwaves and kettles all failed Class 1 test in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net