Discuss minor job for assesment in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyork

hi guys n gals, ive got my nic domestic installer assesment next froday and just wanna make sure all is ok.

the major job is fine so dont need out confirming on that one.

the minor job is an extra socket a coupla doors down from the major job, the customer didnt have an rcd protected consumer unit and didnt wanna pay for one to be fitted, so ive fitted an extra socket with its own rcd protection and made a note that the rest of the original sockets dont have this protection

all main equipotential bonding is fine as well. just wondering if ive done the right thing here, i think i have as my addition is rcd protected in compliance with the regs.

chees

rich

Being in the US, it's going to be interesting for me to learn the real answer to your question. If you were on this side of the pond, I'd say you did just fine. As long as we follow two basic rules of thumb, all is well. As long as 1)your new work is compliant with the code, and 2) your new work does not enhance the gravity of any existing violations, then you're all good. There is almost nothing in our codes that would ever require a person to correct any existing violations (items which were once legal, but no longer are) just to have some minor new work and additions done. This isn't always the easiest customer request to accommodate, but there's always a way. People don't take too kindly to a several thousand dollar bill for major rewiring when all they want is a new socket.

That said, most of the guys I know of who have gotten into trouble with their licenses and have received fines, have gotten into trouble over minor work. Major work is normally done to the letter of the regs, due to the fact that the budget is often large. Guys get this "hero mentality" when doing minor work, and want to save people money by cutting corners. Hero or not, I'm not jeopardizing my license for any damsel in distress with a small wallet. That's my livelihood. No license = no way for me to earn a living.

I don't know if my writing style makes any sense to you guys over there or not, but there you have it anyhow.

Last edited by a moderator:
cheers matey, i think ive done right thing, just want someone to say i have!!

bump

cheers matey, i think ive done right thing, just want someone to say i have!!

bump

Rich, yes you covered the socket, but are the cables buried?

if they are surface mount then you are ok, but obviously if buried (and not SWA etc etc) then the cable needs protecting as well

cheers shakey forgot to mention as well that the minor job was done before the 17th as well, so only 16th rules apply, so the minor job should be ok??

eextra socket was a back to back jobby

rich

cheers shakey forgot to mention as well that the minor job was done before the 17th as well, so only 16th rules apply, so the minor job should be ok??

eextra socket was a back to back jobby

rich

hey Rich, it sounds ok to me

good luck with the assessment;):)

Reply to minor job for assesment in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock