Discuss Minor Works Certificates - Multiple Jobs? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
If you’re on a job which involves things like just replacing light fittings and odds and sods on different circuits for the same client, is there a MWC that can cater for more than one set of circuit tests rather than doing separate certs for each circuit?

If you’re on a job which involves things like just replacing light fittings and odds and sods on different circuits for the same client, is there a MWC that can cater for more than one set of circuit tests rather than doing separate certs for each circuit?
Yes 3 I believe

Yes these exist and I see no problem with using something that is not exactly the model form.
You could always use an EIC for multiple works too. do you currently use any certification software ?

Or you could (tin hat on here) just put a Zs and RCD test results on your invoice. What tests would you carry out otherwise? Save some trees.
Quite a bit more info than that should be recorded if recording anything at all, especially over multiple circuits.
If you wanted to put two tin hats on you could say that the work described in the OP could be classed as maintenance and not require any certification.

At the moment I’m just using the ELECSA system, but interesting as Andy78 has commented above. Clients seem to like the idea of some sort of certificate probably because the question about electrical work seems to come up more regularly now with house sales,

At the moment I’m just using the ELECSA system, but interesting as Andy78 has commented above. Clients seem to like the idea of some sort of certificate probably because the question about electrical work seems to come up more regularly now with house sales,
My software has a 5 circuit MWC. That's Tysoft easycert but you'd need to fork out for the full package.
If you look up electraform it's a web based cert system with no subscriptions, just pay £1 per cert and they have a multi circuit MWC.

Quite a bit more info than that should be recorded if recording anything at all, especially over multiple circuits.
If you wanted to put two tin hats on you could say that the work described in the OP could be classed as maintenance and not require any certification.
Say what. So either or neither.

You can do whatever floats their boat; BS7671 suggests using a Minor Works for replacing a luminaire. Your estate agent might like that documentation, Mrs Miggins I think wouldn't care a monkies.

You can do whatever floats their boat; BS7671 suggests using a Minor Works for replacing a luminaire. Your estate agent might like that documentation, Mrs Miggins I think wouldn't care a monkies.
Ms Miggins, barrister with one of the central London chambers down in this neck of the woods o_O Still, I could also talk serious fraud and money laundering.

Ms Miggins, barrister with one of the central London chambers down in this neck of the woods o_O Still, I could also talk serious fraud and money laundering.
Funnily enough, I got called out by one of those guys on a Sunday afternoon, in their country house. He drilled through a cable putting up a shelf. Socket was right below the shelf :D

Replacing lights or socket faceplates etc, no cert required

Good to know that I'm not the only one who doesn't issue certs for replacing a light or socket faceplate. Some issue a cert for replacing a plastic light switch which is ridiculous in my opinion. Perhaps some think a house owner will issue themselves with a minor works cert when they replace a plastic light switch?.

Replacing lights or socket faceplates etc, no cert required

Not what BS7671 suggests, so I don't think thats a statement of fact. I can understand why some choose to use a MW in certain circumstances for the replacement of accessories or luminaires.

Must admit if you replace a socket or light the bare minimum you would at least do is Zs. It does then open the can of worms that a vast number of domestic lighting circuits won’t be RCD protected. Would this have to be seen as a departure on the MWC if not should you refuse to do the work unless RCD is added? Will go down like a ton of lead with customers.

Reply to Minor Works Certificates - Multiple Jobs? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock