Discuss Minor works - Like for like in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Regulation 411.3.3 is the only instance where there is a requirement for a documented Risk Assessment in BS7671.
There are other Regulations where a Risk Assessment is required, but there is no requirement for the Risk Assessment to be documented in those instances.
That is not correct. If you refer to the model Minor Works Certificate in BS7671 it clearly refers to the Regulations I have noted in #17 and this can cover a multitude of departures.

Am i the only one who minor works everything?
If i change a cracked lightswitch like for like i carry out a full range of tests and certify it.

Reasons are habit, and also do alot of work in social housing so always wanting to cover my back. Photo of every job also saved in the computer job file.

Am i the only one who minor works everything?
If i change a cracked lightswitch like for like i carry out a full range of tests and certify it.

Reasons are habit, and also do alot of work in social housing so always wanting to cover my back. Photo of every job also saved in the computer job file.
I see no reason not to do that and lots of reasons to do so. If you read the notes in appendix 6 for person producing the certificate it's pretty clear you could but they use the term "may".
They say intended to be used for alterations so I think that eliminates the "may" part in the next line if you are doing like for like change. Still an alteration though not a design change.

An alteration would be if you changed something from the original design.
For instance, installing down lights in a room instead of a pendant.
An addition would be if you were to add something to the original design.
For instance, installing down lights in a room whilst leaving the pendant in place.
Replacing existing equipment because of damage or deterioration, would be maintenance.

An alteration would be if you changed something from the original design.
For instance, installing down lights in a room instead of a pendant.
An addition would be if you were to add something to the original design.
For instance, installing down lights in a room whilst leaving the pendant in place.
Replacing existing equipment because of damage or deterioration, would be maintenance.
Fair enough you can do that.
This article sums up my opinion better than I could..
Majoring in the Minor Works Certificate - https://professional-electrician.com/technical/majoring-minor-works-certificate-napit/

I have a little confusion over MWC's.

Currently we are adding a lot of smoke detectors to rental properties due to the change in the law around HMO licenses. Often its just upgrading from a D LD1 to a D LD2 system type. On smaller properties its just taking permanent feed off a local lighting fixture and putting a smoke detector in the living area, which is usually being used as a bedroom. And then wiring to smoke detectors in all the bedrooms upstairs from the exsisting one on landing via loft.

When completing MWC's for this above work its is necessary to perform R1+R2 for every fixture on the lighting circuit? A lot of these places have 1 lighting circuit feeding both floors so performing R1+R2 at every point takes a while and all I'm doing is adding 1 smoke detector. Would it be acceptable to confirm R1+R2 at my new smoke detector and the fixture immediately after, as I have not done anything that will affect the circuit beyond this.

Edit: A word

They suggest that a issuing a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate for replacing a damaged socket outlet is good practice and I agree.

I always test the end to ends to confirm that it is a complete ring, check the Zs and do an RCD test so it makes sense to record the values.

I don't always bother with the IR test though if I'm being honest :D

Replacing a mcb for a rcbo in my opinion is the right thing to do (where there is no RCD protection). I would certainly complete a MW cert and testing of that circuit for such an event.

I have a little confusion over MWC's.

Currently we are adding a lot of smoke detectors to rental properties due to the change in the law around HMO licenses. Often its just upgrading from a D LD1 to a D LD2 system type. On smaller properties its just taking permanent feed off a local lighting fixture and putting a smoke detector in the living area, which is usually being used as a bedroom. And then wiring to smoke detectors in all the bedrooms upstairs from the exsisting one on landing via loft.

When completing MWC's for this above work its is necessary to perform R1+R2 for every fixture on the lighting circuit? A lot of these places have 1 lighting circuit feeding both floors so performing R1+R2 at every point takes a while and all I'm doing is adding 1 smoke detector. Would it be acceptable to confirm R1+R2 at my new smoke detector and the fixture immediately after, as I have not done anything that will affect the circuit beyond this.

Edit: A word
R1+R2 is taken at every point for eic.
In your case I'd take it at the furthest point to check the circuit your working on is safe and at the point your spurring off because some kind of parallel path might be the reason you have continuity at the furthest point. That's just an opinion off the top of my head. A reference to the regs would help.
Probably you don't know the furthest point of the circuit anyway. No?

IMO, you would not need to perform R1+R2 testing. a Zs reading would confirm cpc integrity and that reading can be entered on your MWC.
Zs technically doesn't prove cpc continuity though it is a good indication.
Also zs at a light fitting is a live test with mains exposed and not recommended at any point these days, though I think it's no big deal.

I've heard that grade of alarm is supposed to be interconnected. Is that true? If so how are you doing it?

It differs from house to house but we generally install radio link bases downstairs from existing light fixtures then replace the existing landing smoke with a radio link and hard wire from there to upstairs rooms via the loft.

Don't usually know where last point on circuit is, usually not too hard to figure it out though.

Going back to the op original question , here is an example i come acroos a lot , carry out an eicr and there is a 32 amp mcb protection a 2.5mm radial socket circuit on the 2nd floor of an office.
We are then ask to carry out remedial work, now do you .
A. downrate to a 20amp mcb.
B. downrate to a 20 amp rcbo.

Going back to the op original question , here is an example i come acroos a lot , carry out an eicr and there is a 32 amp mcb protection a 2.5mm radial socket circuit on the 2nd floor of an office.
We are then ask to carry out remedial work, now do you .
A. downrate to a 20amp mcb.
B. downrate to a 20 amp rcbo.
It would be odd not to use a rcbo unless you can jiggle something around upstream. No rcd = ra plus labels on sockets for specific use only. No?

Reply to Minor works - Like for like in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net