Discuss Moving a fuse box under the 17th Edition in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

P&Q

Hi guys,

I have come across a fuse box which needs changing and upgrading, this is above the cooker and I need to move it. Firstly, I needed to know how far away it needs to be from the cooker according to the 17th Edition. Secondly what do you think would be the best way or thing to do to extend and run the cables over?
I am going to notify the local authority and they will be coming to inspect after the first fixing.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

To be honest, this isnt the sort of thing that can be answered on a forum although we will do our best.

There are a number of factors to take into consideration, before even thinking about moving a cu; ie, type of earthing, incoming supply meter (which you cannot touch), age of the installation, main bonding etc etc.

If you say its above a cooker then the cables could be needing replacing, at least the tails to the CU.

Any chance you can post up some pics?

Good idea Jason if people could post pics on here then this would help no end with answers.
Regards
Kung
P.S. Hi P&Q

Thanks for replying, here's some pics, hope they help.

Attachments

• Moving a fuse box under the 17th Edition 25022009018 - EletriciansForums.net
    25022009018.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Moving a fuse box under the 17th Edition 25022009019 - EletriciansForums.net
    25022009019.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 85
Looks like a bungalow install to me so,

you could pull (hopefully) all the circuits back to the loft, crimp them through to extend them to the new position, put the joints in a suitably sized enclosure and fit new 17th dual rcd board.

However, you will need to consider the sub main from the suppliers cut out as this will probably need a switch-fuse somewhere along its length (if more than 3 meters).

Hopefully, with only 2 non rcd ways at the moment, the new board wont throw any nasties at you.

Just out of interest, have you ever tackled anything like this before?

I'm no expert, but surely only the garage is on an RCD?

I'd pull all cable's back into the loft area make a board up with double suface boxes crimp them in the boxes stick on a blanking and mark up each circuit for anyone coming after. How far are you considering moving the consumer unit??

remember all joint's must be accessible proper pet hate. Cheers

Last edited:

Reply to Moving a fuse box under the 17th Edition in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock