Discuss Moving a light switch - is an rcd needed? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The "shower on a 16" looks to have been repurposed as underfloor heating... which looks to be passing through the RCD spur in the bottom right of picture.

and the 32A for immersion is turned off. Still needs investigated though.

Installations of this age will have had some alterations no doubt over the years. I cant see there being enough sockets in each room, if still original.
I wouldn't count of the BS7288 providing the level of (additional) protection required. Disconnection time may be achieved but the device itself does not mean the required standard for a 'standard' RCD.

FT2300, If you've recently bought the property and plan on alterations, I would really consider budgeting for upgrading the consumer unit (Following an EICR), even if just moving light switch at this time, to provide the latest RCD protection (and perhaps AFDD/SPD protection too) to all circuits that require it under the latest regulations.
It will at least give you and your family peace of mind that all is well on the electrical front.

Thanks all. We will get an EICR done - we've had an electrician in who said it would likely come back with C1 and C2 faults - am I right to think this would require a full house re-wire?
Then where do we stand, does this have to be fixed within a certain timeframe (it is a domestic mortgage-owned property)? Does it deem the house unliveable? Does it void the insurance, or the ability to sell on the property? Is it listed against the property somewhere publicly and required to fix asap? We obviously want to get it fixed asap, just need to work out costs/timeframes and how quickly we can save to fix. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count of the BS7288 providing the level of (additional) protection required. Disconnection time may be achieved but the device itself does not mean the required standard for a 'standard' RCD.
Totally agree, but it would have been permissible at the time the underfloor hearing was installed, (or maybe not, if it was a DIY job done just recently)

does this have to be fixed within a certain timeframe (it is a domestic mortgage-owned property)?
Those more knowledgeable please say if I'm not accurate ?
By the way, regarding rewire, that's not necessarily needed. Would need further investigation. I suspect the electrician wasn't meaning to imply that, but we don't know.

Effectively Immediately for C1 category issues, and plan for implementing C2 fixes asap (see insurance issue below)
Does it deem the house unliveable?
No. I don't think any electrical issue could legally make you vacate the property. In extremis you might be advised to do so and choose to leave if there was a dangerous situation.
Does it void the insurance, or the ability to sell on the property?
It may affect the insurance, I guess they would not pay out if there was a fire from an electrical cause (my insurers demand a current clear EICR). If you were to sell, buyers solicitor would ask for a copy of EICR, if it contained issues it could be used as a bargaining tool by the purchaser (or put them off altogether). If you didn't want to provide it, likewise.
Is it listed against the property somewhere publicly
"Publicly" -Not that I'm aware of. Accessible by competent persons bodies and electrician(s)
and required to fix asap?
C1 immediate, C2 asap, C3 advisory
We obviously want to get it fixed asap, just need to work out costs/timeframes and how quickly we can save to fix. Thanks for the help.
I would suggest you try to have say a £2k pot put aside??

Last edited:
Totally agree, but it would have been permissible at the time the underfloor hearing was installed, (or maybe not, if it was a DIY job done just recently)
7288 RCD FCUs, iirc have never been suitable for thr purpose of Additional protection. While I submit that they were written in previous editions of the regs as acceptable, our understanding of thier function, mode of operation and how they afford protection has evolved so now they're not accepted for that purpose.

To use the argument of 'previous editions said it was ok so it can stay' is a poor one based on what we now know and understand. I'll never understand those (not implying you @littlespark ) that don't push for installations to meet recent (if not the latest) regs is beyond me. It's like saying "I'm fine with candles, I've been safe with them for years" even though we have electricity, it's barmy.

I admit situations and circumstances tend to dictate the overall outcome but we really should be educating customers as to the benefits of the latest protection methods (AFDDs notwithstanding), especially when they've been around for decades.

Thanks all. We will get an EICR done - we've had an electrician in who said it would likely come back with C1 and C2 faults - am I right to think this would require a full house re-wire?
Then where do we stand, does this have to be fixed within a certain timeframe (it is a domestic mortgage-owned property)? Does it deem the house unliveable? Does it void the insurance, or the ability to sell on the property? Is it listed against the property somewhere publicly and required to fix asap? We obviously want to get it fixed asap, just need to work out costs/timeframes and how quickly we can save to fix. Thanks for the help.
only a thorough inspection will tell you what is needeed. maybe a new Consumer Unit with partial rewire with some extra sockets, downlights, etc., don't worry about insurance etc., as long as it's brought up to current standards, with a EIC to back up the works and notification to LABC,

I'll never understand those (not implying you @littlespark ) that don't push for installations to meet recent (if not the latest) regs is beyond me. It's like saying "I'm fine with candles, I've been safe with them for years" even though we have electricity, it's barmy.

I admit situations and circumstances tend to dictate the overall outcome but we really should be educating customers as to the benefits of the latest protection methods (AFDDs notwithstanding), especially when they've been around for decades.
Pushing for installations to meet recent or latest regs by explaining the benefits and advantages to them is one thing, and something I have always enthusiastically done
. Coding deviations as C2 rather than the C3 they should be to force a customer's hand is quite another.

7288 RCD FCUs, iirc have never been suitable for thr purpose of Additional protection. While I submit that they were written in previous editions of the regs as acceptable, our understanding of thier function, mode of operation and how they afford protection has evolved so now they're not accepted for that purpose.
Regarding the use of BS7288 RCD FCUs, and their omission from the current wiring regs. I have looked into this, searched for answers online, discussed it on the forum, and even emailed manufacturers on the subject. No one has been able to confidently tell me why they aren't suitable as additional protection (bar that they can't be installed at the absolute origin of the final circuit, but this seems like nit-picking to me,as they can be installed very close to it).

From your post, it sounds like you know the answer, and I would be grateful if you would share it?

Regarding the use of BS7288 RCD FCUs, and their omission from the current wiring regs. I have looked into this, searched for answers online, discussed it on the forum, and even emailed manufacturers on the subject. No one has been able to confidently tell me why they aren't suitable as additional protection (bar that they can't be installed at the absolute origin of the final circuit, but this seems like nit-picking to me,as they can be installed very close to it).

From your post, it sounds like you know the answer, and I would be grateful if you would share it?from

From your post, it sounds like you know the answer, and I would be grateful if you would share it?
From what I can recall the crux of it is down to internal clearances inside the devices themselves; 61008 and 61009 offering larger clearances than 7288 devices.

I'll see if I can find out the papers

Blimey fitted quite a few of them old 12way wylex CU's DP main switch in the middle.

Is it really that long ago ?

Reply to Moving a light switch - is an rcd needed? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock