Discuss Need help with dimming large chandelier in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Neil Claxton

My friend has a two gang dimmer it's the size that fits a 2 gang box also in brushed chrome they changed from a 250watt per dimmer to a 1500watt per dimmer as the first one wasn't dimming the lights

One side does two wall lights with 8 x 3 watt dimmable lamps

The other side does a massive chandelier with 50 x 3 watt dimmable lamps

The new dimmer does dim the lights but only a fraction and buzzes like crazy when doing so

My question is what should I fit are there specific dimmers for LEDs?

View attachment 35335

View attachment 35336

Most manufacturers would not recommend attempting to dim 50 LED lamps on a single dimmer switch.
LED lamps can have a high inrush current on switch on and can damage the dimmer.
A trailing edge dimmer module should not buzz or hum.
You may be able to find a, say, 200W trailing edge dimmer module that can take LED lamps but generally a module rated at 200W for halogen lamps will be derated to about 100W of LED lamps so you may have to find perhaps a 300W dimmer which are hard to get in trailing edge and suitable for LED.

Most of the trailing edge dimmers should not have problems with a 24W load but getting one that can dim 150W and 50 lamps will be difficult without going to a dimmer system rather than a switch.

I think you need to ask the manufacturer of the LED what they recommend for dimming. The other switch also takes a minumum load of 10w so maybe you should use that switch for the chandeliers?

@Neil Claxton I have deleted your other thread that was identical to this one, Can you please only start one thread instead of two in the future, it just creates confusion for the members.
Cheers GMES

Reply to Need help with dimming large chandelier in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net