• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss New consumer unit and partial rewire in Didcot, Oxfordshire in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hum ............ Reading between the lines I think this poster is after some desperate spark who will come along after he's chucked more cables in and just sign it off.

Good luck with that.

If so, he should post the job on MyBuilder or Rated People. Then he'll be spoiled for choice.

As per my previous post, a live in rewire will cost you more; it will need more sparks on the job each day. I suppose with the ceilings down, it will be slightly less hassle.

Its not a job I would of taken, working with just myself. Whoever does it, gonna take some working out what the other sparks did, and tidying up the mess he made, no offence meant.

You can try this web site, get three quotes from different companies;

Competent Persons Register | Home - https://www.competentperson.co.uk/
Thanks for the link, that's a very useful site!

If I was close to the job I'd definitely consider it,take a look and provide a quote, the ceilings being down makes is so much easier, let's have a bit of positivity just for a change !:eek:
Thanks Dave.
I thought this forum would be more helpful.

To answer another question, Building control is required for many of the renovations I am doing to the house, which is why I involved them from the start. I am a single parent to a handicapped daughter and when I was made redundant I sold up and moved (downsized) quickly so we wouldn't lose everything. I knew of most of the work required, but didn't expect the mass of junction boxes I found when we dropped the ceilings. Hence the rewire.
When I sold the last house I incurred lots of extra costs and delays because of small upgrades we made which hadn't been LBC sanctioned or done by tradespeople who didn't provide a certificate. I know better now.
I have been quoted £3250 by someone who, when pressed, said he could probably do the job in a weekend, but he would book in an extra evening, just in case. I consider that extortionate, and it's why I'm here.

I have been quoted £3250 by someone who, when pressed, said he could probably do the job in a weekend, but he would book in an extra evening, just in case. I consider that extortionate, and it's why I'm here.

Alarm bells ...

weekend
extra evening

then it'll be

cash payments
no receipt
no certificate

I would you recommend you ring around your local sparks ........ and see if anyone is interested

I'm sure you'll find someone OP, £3250 isn't a huge sum for a 3 bed semi rewire, just for info. See what comes out in those quotes.

A weekend and a evening to do a full rewire :eek:

must be a drive by install:D

I'm sure you will find someone.
If it was in my neck of the woods I'd certainly price it.
Ceilings down and an understanding / realistic customer goes a long way.

Hmmm, didn't spot the 'weekend & evening' bit of the quote.
I would as well but for the OP's concern at a cost of £3250 being
put me off plus busy until December.
You guys are missing the point.
I was a biomedical electronics engineer maintaining and repairing life-saving medical equipment which frequently was in direct patient contact. I never earned £3250 a month let alone for a 2 day job! And I had to pay tax on my income, so this actually amounted to 30% more (or 40% for most of you I am guessing). The work I did could easily have killed someone if I screwed up; and I was never as rude or ignorant as some have been on this site, when all I was after was some simple work for a reasonable amount. You have all made assumptions without seeing the job, and several are far away and have no intention of helping, just trying to sound amusing by making stupid comments.
I am obviously in the wrong place.

I was a biomedical electronics engineer maintaining and repairing life-saving medical equipment which frequently was in direct patient contact. I never earned £3250 a month let alone for a 2 day job! And I had to pay tax on my income, so this actually amounted to 30% more (or 40% for most of you I am guessing). The work I did could easily have killed someone if I screwed up; and I was never as rude or ignorant as some have been on this site, when all I was after was some simple work for a reasonable amount. You have all made assumptions without seeing the job, and several are far away and have no intention of helping, just trying to sound amusing by making stupid comments.

I think YOU are missing the point ........... the quote you have seems high and as for the "weekend plus evening" timescales - well let just agree its rather optimistic - especially as plaster generally takes a few days to dry.

Take up my earlier suggestion and get more quotes ...........

A rewire for 1 person is a 2 week job roughly depending on many things, which is why people are dubious about someone saying they could do it in a weekend and a evening and for this area a full rewire will be in the region of £3-3500 again depending on size of house etc.

I am doing a major house renovation in a small 1960 3 bed semi, but need the consumer unit replacing and a partial rewire.

The OP does state partial rewire... All depends on what he classes 'partial' as.
OP: maybe if you specify in more detail what you require then some on here may be able to guestimate as to how much it may cost.... Of course, a site visit would get a more accurate quote.

Correct, people aren't reading. The first fix on the ground floor is 80% done, hence the title partial rewire. I have a whole house to decorate so I am happy to plaster and make good afterwards. Upstairs is all done in red, black and earth which the previous electrician told me is okay and simply needs reconnecting to the new consumer unit. It is NOT a complete rewire.
Anyway, I have now 2 companies coming to quote.
Thanks to all who have actually tried to be helpful. Appreciated.

But we'd not come canvasing rewiring 'life-saving medical equipment which frequently was in direct patient', which would cost £xxxx amount. The guys posting stupid comments, are just being a bit light hearted. We all realise the importance of this for you, but it will be more than a weekends work, especially to pick up from whats been put in so far.

What happened to you original electrician??

I never earned £3250 a month let alone for a 2 day job! The work I did could easily have killed someone if I screwed up

Sorry but these comments are just crazy.

You weren't self employed. You didn't need to pay for any overheads plus the company had to make money off you so the amount they were paying you plus overheads plus profit is how much the job is worth per month. Further, an electrician isn't in a place of responsibility when a simple mistake could cause a fire? Deadly electric shock?
Sorry to be rude, but wake up.[/QUOTE]

Reply to New consumer unit and partial rewire in Didcot, Oxfordshire in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock