Discuss New consumer unit, builder says upgrade supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The service cable, (micc) needs reworking, fuse drawn by us at origin. Steel box with pyro terminated into it, no bango reqd, brass gland, 16mmsq earth from box into earth bar. Sit 100 amp existing series 7 on top of new box. 25mmsq brown and blue from cut out and meter from meter guys. Full test on con's wiring, and remedial.

You can tell all this from a photo? How can you tell what fuse is inside the 100A rated fuse carrier?

Even though the op said it was old wiring that doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t be glanded going into new CU , obv his builder has just done a bit of smooth talking, defo worth getting tested independently,

Gulls start their racket around 4.30 at this time of year. They are about the only negative from living where I do. A few years ago I would often be up around dawn, rig my board and have an hour or two windsurfing before I started the day.

Over here in the Isle of Man I installed a bird deterrent system for a development close to the cliffs of nesting gulls.
Part of the planning conditions apparently..
It came with loads of settings for different types of birds..
The one that seemed to work best was the noise of a hawk..
My favourite was the distressed gull sound, the gulls went crazy and swarmed the whole area, it was like a scene out of Hitchcock’s Birds.
Police came down and it got a mention on the radio.. I never mentioned a thing, just shrugged my shoulders and mingled in the crowd :)

I also contacted UK power network who told me they are only responsible for up to the fuse. We found the incoming power feed (about 25mm thick) and the fuse in the basement, so the 10mm feed from the basement to my meter on the ground floor they tell me is my responsibility so an electrician can fix.
That sounds like "incorrect" information to me. Everything up to and including the meter are the responsibility of someone other than you - and no, your electrician cannot fiddle about with the wiring upstream of the meter, all the connections should be sealed for what should be obvious reasons (bypassing the meter anyone ?).
It may be that your DNO (UKPN) are only responsible up to the fuse downstairs - if that's the case, you lecky supplier (or whoever they contract out meter operations to) is responsible for the cable etc from the basement up to the meter.
Whether it's the DNO or your supplier, an electrician is not allowed to fiddle with it (and that includes pulling the fuse while they change the CU) - that fuse in your photos should have a seal on it. The lack of seal could cause you issues in the future.

That sounds like "incorrect" information to me. Everything up to and including the meter are the responsibility of someone other than you - and no, your electrician cannot fiddle about with the wiring upstream of the meter, all the connections should be sealed for what should be obvious reasons (bypassing the meter anyone ?).
It may be that your DNO (UKPN) are only responsible up to the fuse downstairs - if that's the case, you lecky supplier (or whoever they contract out meter operations to) is responsible for the cable etc from the basement up to the meter.
Whether it's the DNO or your supplier, an electrician is not allowed to fiddle with it (and that includes pulling the fuse while they change the CU) - that fuse in your photos should have a seal on it. The lack of seal could cause you issues in the future.
I needed to move a board recently, and needed to get the DNO (Western Power) to move the supply and fuse. They also moved the meter, but sheared the head off a screw holding the tails, so I had to contact the electricity supplier/billing company (SSE) to replace the meter. So the DNO can move a meter for you at the same time as the fuse, unless the meter seals need to be broken, as they will in this case if replacing those 10mm2 tails.

It's a pity that when the meters are read these days the only cause for alarm is when there's a couple of probes jammed into the meter tails helping to retard the meter via a device. Pyrotenax is temperamental at the best of times but an excellent cable with superior current carrying capacity. Earth Bond clamp on the copper sheath is hardly a respectable connection but that is the domain of the local supply authority, perhaps it was made off to an acceptable standard at some time. I would suggest therein lies the problems for starters. The suppliers should be making off into a suitable termination, that's their baby.

Reply to New consumer unit, builder says upgrade supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net