Discuss New CU Required but after previous poor advice by Electrican asking here !!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MattyKHZ

Following a new kitchen installation I find that the current Wylex NHRS4504 CU fitted does not have any spares so need to replace this and ideally would like to do so with another Wylex CU.

It currently has MCB: NSB06 x 3, NSB16 x 1, NSB32 x 4, NSB40 x 1 and a RCD 80A x 1.

So I would like to ask, do I go for another Split Load CU with more ways, or go for a High Integrity Dual RCD, or a Dual RCD Split Load? And is it better to go for RCBO’s instead of the current MCB’s used.

Also by looking it seems some places sell complete CU and others the outer only which I presume would mean I could re-use my old mCB if it is not essential to go for RCBO’s?

And lastly, when PV was installed and I wanted to replace CU then but they did not meet this and just stuck a seperate 2 way up with all the PV isolator and meter, I was wondering if there is a neater solution to house it all in 1 unit. I saw that Wylex did a CU with meter etc built in but the installer was reluctant to use this.

Hope someone may be able to help before I get quotes.

I prefer RCBOs but realise that these have cost implications, better in my opinion as if a fault develops only one circuit is lost rather than a few BUT it is not compulsory to install them. What do you mean from the title Matty? Did the spark you employed come here for advice on how to carry out the work?
It seems you have a 16th edition CU as it only has one RCD so if this is to be upgraded it would have to be one that complies with 17th, with the price of MCBs it may be best to go for everything new. Post up your location and one of us could come and advise properly on how to integrate everything.

Thanks Trev.

Original install of PV related stuff was a let down with installer not listening to what I wanted or acting upon information I supplied many weeks before install so stuck with a mass of boxes.

Kitchen install has stopped as installer who used his own gas safe person and electrician carried on doing things his own way, again not listening and causing damage so I am having to find new people to finish off the work, hence why asking on here.

I am in Tamworth.

I think Telectrix is near you. He's our forum electrical knowledgeable about everything bloke, some say he has no pulse just a DC motor. All we know is.....:)

I've sent Tel a PM on your behalf. If he is unable to help there are more down your way, I'm just trying to think who is where.

Oi trev get your map out pal your some miles away

we are working not far from tamworth about 15mins away ive sent him a pm so we can sort it for him if he wants

Not got anywhere with this yet. am looking at replacement CU's as I know I need one with more ways. But a bit confused with all this Split Load (which is what I currently have but 9 way), High Integrity, 17th Edition, Dual RCD's etc.

Am I correct that it is better to have RCBO's than MCB's. If going that route would it matter whether the CU was 17th Edition, Split load, High Integrity, Dual RCD etc and the RCBO would become the most improtant protection in the CU?

Just trying to get the replacement right and minimise disruption to other circuits when one trips but then with the MCB's I have only ever found the one to trip rather than several.

Hoping if I can get the CU sorted then it is all in place with all my sockets and light fittings etc for when I get an electrican to do all the work.

Just trying to get the replacement right and minimise disruption to other circuits when one trips but then with the MCB's I have only ever found the one to trip rather than several.

It's the single up front RCD where the worry is though, if an earth fault develops on one of the circuits the RCD will operate and you'll lose power to all circuits...

Or split load you lose power to circuits protected by that RCD...hence RCBOs being the best method...

Sent from my Xperia S using next doors WIFI.

Original install of PV related stuff was a let down with installer not listening to what I wanted or acting upon information I supplied many weeks before install so stuck with a mass of boxes.

Kitchen install has stopped as installer who used his own gas safe person and electrician carried on doing things his own way, again not listening and causing damage so I am having to find new people to finish off the work, hence why asking on here.

I am in Tamworth.

If your going to employ an electrician, let him sort out what’s needed.
From reading this thread again I’m not surprised the plumber, electrician and PV fitter walked off the job.

I know that it is tempting to source your own gear to avoid any mark-up by the electrician, but as Tony says, let the electrician sort out what is best for your situation (after consulting you of course).
Don't forget that if you want any kind of warranty on what is installed, you won't get it from your electrician if you supplied it.

Reply to New CU Required but after previous poor advice by Electrican asking here !!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock