Discuss New Distribution Board in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

ozwood

I have been asked to quote a customer for a new Distribution board but am after some Ideas on the best way to set it up to conform with the latest 17th edition requirements i.e. RCD protection of circuits.

The existing board is a TP 8 way but I need to increase it to TP 12 way.

The installation is at a golf club house. Some of the ciruits are feeding kitchen equipment all single phase and the remainder is for general lighting and power.

Do all the circuits need to be covered by an RCD as they are not more than 50mm into the building fabric and the building is not generally looked after by an instructed person? I don't just want to cover the whole board with a main RCD as this runs the risk of nuisance tripping for the building but this would mean individual RCBO's for each circuit (very expesive way of doing it).

I was also going to advise that a full periodic inspection is carried out as part of the installation. Is a full inspection required?

I have to agree.
Final circuits all to be protected by RCD as per the 17th regs.
You should really be aware of the regs if you are working......what is your proof of competency?
Oh well.....
I'd do the full periodic before starting on a CU xchange......that way you can spot any potential show-stoppers (and quote accordingly) before you end up knee deep in spaghetti and well out of pocket.....
Randyrat

I'd do the full periodic before starting on a CU xchange......that way you can spot any potential show-stoppers (and quote accordingly)
Randyrat

Aint that the truth!

Being a commercial installation, and by the sounds of it, a bit dated, you can almost bet your life, the install will have seen a fair few "adjustments" over the years.

I wouldn't even consider quoting for a DB change without doing a substantial (paid for) periodic first.

Having said that, they should have already had one done, so ask to see it and check.

All IMHO of course!

Hi,After some thoughts i too agree with the rest you should install individual rcbos to comply with the 17th edition.You would need to test the board first to check for faults that would trip a rcd,advise then change the board expensive i know thats not your fault,if they then get someone else who does not do it to the latest regs, you then can report them - we need to start doing this to stop people doing favours for people and totally disregarding the regs !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to New Distribution Board in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock