Discuss New Electrical Install Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

as above. that is totally beyond the pale. bodged and dangerous. you need a qualified.competent spark on site immediately to explain what's wrong. stop any further work by these cowboys immediately.

Ok any members interested in helping out, please Pm Asosoon and come to some arrangement. Sooner rather than later by the look of that wiring.

I would be willing to have a look, but time and distance have taken theit toll, sorry

I have placed a link to this thread in the jobs section so hopefully the op will get someone she can trust to do the job correctly.

Awful workmanship, It’s that sort of thing which, with some certainty, will cause an unfortunate future electrician to need to tear the ceiling down to find faults. Every one of those joints and junctions is wrong in more ways than one.

And I’d take them up not only on the electrics, but in the manner that those insulation blocks aren’t vapour sealed or even foamed in. Particularly so since this will be a bathroom. Humid room side air behind the plasterboard will find its way to the cold side of the blocks via those open slots, and can condense out there. This also means that if the cold side is ventilated (or with modern construction as it should be, a vapour permeable sealed membrane above above), cold air can circulate to the warm side, removing the benefits of much of that insulation. (Small builders , much like your “electrician”, sadly aren’t members of “competent persons” schemes). You could partially fix this with foil backed plasterboard, but since there will be holes in it for downlights, that rather defeats the object.

Gaps should be foam filled, and the whole lot taped over to restore the vapour barrier. Of course this leads to a problem with the electrics, since there seems to be no service void in the system, and nowhere to put cables. - That comes back down to the lack of intelligence in the design made by the builder in the first place.

Okay lets not all have nightmares, its all fixable. OP just get your local friendly building inspector in to have a gander. In the meantime, can someone throw another log under the hot tub, its getting a bit lukewarm.

I don't think they are member of CPR. Their plumbers are gas safe registered and their electrician is allegedly qualified to carryout electrical work. Sadly, it is clear that I failed to do my homework correctly and now find myself checking everything they do. Live and learn. I did visit a few jobs and the other clients have been very happy with the work, but I don't think they have checked they workmanship as I have.

I don't think they are member of CPR. Their plumbers are gas safe registered and their electrician is allegedly qualified to carryout electrical work. Sadly, it is clear that I failed to do my homework correctly and now find myself checking everything they do. Live and learn. I did visit a few jobs and the other clients have been very happy with the work, but I don't think they have checked they workmanship as I have.
I just wonder how many other jobs are like this because once that is all concealed people are none the wiser. Even if they offer to correct it I would just refuse them. I would send the pictures anyway to see their response.

I have the pictures as a bargaining card to try and get them to do the job right.
Well that is up to you but the job should have been correct in the first place, even a half competent electrician couldn't have done a worse job.
Do yourself a favour and get an electrician in.

It can be hard to get poor workmanship fixed.
Sadly it's all about finish, and many people don't really appreciate what goes on behind their perfect smooth plaster surfaces. In the building trade, poor practice can still come out winning glowing reviews from customers.

That is exactly what this company does. They try to hide all their wrong doings behind the plasterboard. If they cannot fix it properly, I will hire an electrician. By consumer law, I have to give them the chance to fix their problem.

That is exactly what this company does. They try to hide all their wrong doings behind the plasterboard. If they cannot fix it properly, I will hire an electrician. By consumer law, I have to give them the chance to fix their problem.

If I'm correct, You have the right to not allow them into your property and hire someone else instead. However the cost will lie with you.

As said before that Abortion is Putrid. How someone has the front to do ---- like that is beyond me. I'm sure someone on here will help. So you've come to the right place. Sadly my test equipment wouldn't reach from Aus.

I would tread very carefully before doing anything drastic. Courts can be capricious. Do take proper advice from trading standards if possible. Get building control involved if they are not (they should be) already. If the person doing the electrics is not part of a CPS by law he/they should have notified building control at least 48 hours prior to starting work. If they did not then they have commited an offence.
Have you signed any contract for the work? If you have then you are bound by it. Have they/you talked about smoke detectors etc. as you are going into the loft?

Reply to New Electrical Install Question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net