Discuss New green books in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

al capone would have been proud of the extortion. maybe if we got the IET to distill illicit moonshine, they'd find it more profitable and leave us alone.

I heard through the grapevine that the byb was in the process of being assembled. It probably won't reach the shelves until 2015 though.

It makes you wonder how they can keep coming up with new stuff , I wonder what they have come up with this time to justify a new edition and all the associated publications. I'm not going to buy any more at my age , I'm just going to rely on you lot to keep me going IF I can keep going lol.

The thing is if you ran a job like this ie rewire a house then popping in every 6 months to change things then charge for it and the customer says why you can reply how else can I keep myself in a job and get a gold plated pension plus get some mug to pay for it
ug to pay for it

That's part of the game...

Have a priviledged background, go to the best school that money can buy, Oxbridge, get your 'gentlemans third', network with the chaps at the club, end up in the city, make pots of money, sit on a few committees and write some amendments to 'the BS 300th Amd 'shoeing horses with a stun gun' retire early..

easy.....

I heard through the grapevine that the byb was in the process of being assembled. It probably won't reach the shelves until 2015 though.
Might be useful....... to catch me dribbling tea on me shirt.

2015 christ I am only 55 does that mean me going back to college do you think the public realise what we mear mortals have to go through

I was informed by our regional engineer that there is an amendment being worked on now. The 15th/16th editions went through the same process - Red, Green, Yellow, Blue Brown - New Edition. Apparantly it is driven by European harmonisation etc.. etc.. £80...etc...etc

Just shows you just what a state this trade is in we go head first into a recession and they decide to review everything from the regs C&G exams PIR/EICRs I could go on but then again they dont seem to care how much pressure in money terms it costs us because they know you have to get the updates why because they are the ones who asses you anywhere else this would be extorting money for financial gain or am I being cynical

I think you make quite a good point here.

It's fair enough updating the regs to encompass new technology and improvements in standards but, seeing as we're in perpetual recession at the moment, maybe the IET, C&G etc could drip feed these changes, via free downloads etc., to ease the financial burden a bit.

I pointed out recently that I'd read somewhere that the number of Green editions sold is a small percentage of the number of electricians in the UK. Might have been on IET site but I can't find it again.

I hate the colour Yellow. Its soo garden flowers and chintz. I prefer the brown, that colour looks more like a technical manual.

But to the point in hand. Updating your qualifications, as the chief C&G assessor once told me, was only really necessary when the edition changed. So there are a few more colours and a decade to go first.

Having said that, there is so much information from sites like this one where you can get useful information on the latest developments, its unlikely that you will get left behind as long as you keep on the ball.

I can understand why a lot of older sparks 60 + are just point blank refusing to go for the updates

Just to add this is just jobs worth and job creation because they are so inept what was wrong with doing it all in one big change instead of this peace meal approuch

we keep on the ball, while the IET and the scam providers hold on tight to the gravy train.

So, the roumor becomes reality, the 18 th ? another forum member hinted this a few days ago. £400.- for the course, £100 for the books, what next?

As current technology stands tell me how they can improve it ? the regs I mean ? the game has had RCD's in one form or another for decades but they danced around them, then it was EEBADS, then ADS it's all bollox, physics don't change, whats next ? FKD if I know !
J

I was referring to the PV & surge protection stuff as the main ones, plus the various tweaks.
At heart, the basics don't change, unless physics is warping in some way that IET have inside knowledge on!
Still got Yellow, Blue & Brown books to go before 18th.

As current technology stands tell me how they can improve it ? the regs I mean ? the game has had RCD's in one form or another for decades but they danced around them, then it was EEBADS, then ADS it's all bollox, physics don't change, whats next ? FKD if I know !
J

Time travel, Mind over Matter and a good body transporter. Bring it on Spock.

I suspect they are preparing a colourless version called the 19th edition in harmonizing the changes in the physics of electrons since CERN have found a particle that travels faster than light. So it should be out before the 18th.

A brain implant chip is the way to go.
No more books to trawl through and instant access to what you're looking for.
Amendment updates would be cheaper, plug yourself in for the latest download.

Reply to New green books in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock