Discuss New light fixture, old wiring in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

macgabhr

DIY
Reaction score
I'm fitting some new light fixtures in my livingroom, problem is the wires coming out of the ceiling don't match the simple live, neutral and earth. I'll stick a picture up to explain but basically I have a switched live, permanent live and what I suspect is a neutral, I have the wiring of how it worked before and have wired it up without the permanent live and the light works but the other lights in the room now don't so assuming I should have wired the permanent live into the circuit somehow?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

TL;DR
Permanent or swtiched live in L port on light fixture
I'm fitting some new light fixtures in my livingroom, problem is the wires coming out of the ceiling don't match the simple live, neutral and earth. I'll stick a picture up to explain but basically I have a switched live, permanent live and what I suspect is a neutral, I have the wiring of how it worked before and have wired it up without the permanent live and the light works but the other lights in the room now don't so assuming I should have wired the permanent live into the circuit somehow?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Ahh old singles wiring remember it well, what you have is N in and out and a switched L and E from the switch position Switch the Perm L s are in and out at the switch position

The explanation isn't clear to me, have you wired this up exactly as it was before, or is something now changed / unconnected?

If wired as before, then it should work as before (baring things like having pulled on a cable and dislodged a loose connection, or blown up a switch if Switched-L & N got connected together, etc).

Edit: the second black may be the N from the non-working lights (sort of a borrowed-N but the same circuit, you sometimes see that with singles),

Last edited:
Thanks for the response everyone, the first picture is how it was wired up with existing light fixture, the picture below is what I want to fit. I tested with a basic neon tester, the red wire is a switched live, one of the black wires is live too (albeit I'm not sure how much voltage as I don't have a multimeter). My question is to fit this into a modern fitting as shown below, is it as simple as earth (yellow and green) to earth or middle connection on the photo below, red to the live and the two black wires to the neutral?

Cheers,
Rob

Attachments

• 20210708_091629.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 5
I can see bare copper above the neutral connector block, which indicates this connection is not properly made. This is a loop-through connection that is required for the other lights to function, so check this thoroughly and ensure both wires are securely terminated with no exposed copper. Strip a few cm of the grey sheath away to expose the black insulation and ensure this continues to within the plastic moulding of the connector block stopping 1-2 mm short of the metal part of the connector. A Wago terminal or better terminal block would be preferable.

one of the black wires is live too

This is the neutral loop-out to the next fitting, it is not connected to line but is at line potential because of current trying to return from other lights that cannot get to neutral. When the two neutrals are securely connected together, it will not appear to be live.

Reply to New light fixture, old wiring in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net