Discuss New member - Advice on PIR Light Connections in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Y

Yorkiepuddingus

Hi,

I'm new to the Forum and I'm a keen DIY enthusiast...bt only within the limit of my skills....so I'm after some advice.
I am changing my PIR lights NOT the actual wiring circuit.

I have two PIR Lights that are connected and operated by oneswitch (in the kitchen).

The PIR light has wires coming to it (from the circuit) onfour connections of: Grey (x1) with a brown sleeve; Brown x 2;Earth x 2; and Blue and Black (with a blue sleeve).

The new PIR has more modern fittings inside it (including avery small circuit board and a small box that has blue, red and brown wiresconnecting to the light fitting).

The connection from the light unit just has 3 connections –one has a brown, another has blue and the last one is empty.

How should I connect up the wires coming to the light fromthe circuit?? (The light is polycarbonate so there is no earth required)

Appreciate any advice you can give. Many Thanks

PIR's require four wires to make them work :- Switched live (S/L)(possibly grey with brown sleeve in your case). Permanent live (L)(brown or red with brown sleeving). Earth (green/yellow sleeving). Neutral (N)(blue or black with blue sleeving). The most important piece of information you require is on the bit of paper that came in the box with the PIR, the manufacturers instructions. This bit of paper should give you circuit diagrams and information on which wire goes to which terminal in the PIR. If you haven't got this bit of paper then photos on here might help us point you in the right direction. If you are still struggling after this then go with my forum name "If in doubt, don't". Get an electrician in, it won't cost much.

Thanks If in Doubt. I have attached a photo of the current wiring to light and then the new light fitting which only has 3 connections on the unit. It is the 4 into 3 that is problematic. Thanks for any further comment before I call someone out.New member - Advice on PIR Light Connections 20150620_145054 - EletriciansForums.netNew member - Advice on PIR Light Connections 20150620_131549 - EletriciansForums.net

The pictures seem to indicate that you have an arrangement such that when one light is triggered to come on the other light will also come on.
Unfortunately this is not a function that is available on the new light, the new light can only turn on its own integral lamp.
A PIR light with the capability to switch another light source would have an additional terminal normally labelled L' or L*.

Without seeing the installation one cannot say for certain so it is best to check (safely) that my guess is correct.
It looks like the blue and brown cable coming into the light is the supply cable, the brown, grey and black cable is probably the link cable between the two lights providing the main power for the second light and also the interconnection to allow both lights to work together. Presumably the other light has only the three core brow, black, grey cable as its connection.
You would only be able to supply power to both units so that for each unit when the integral PIR is triggered the integral light comes on.
The grey interlink core would be redundant.

Reply to New member - Advice on PIR Light Connections in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock