Search the forum,

Discuss New planning rules from 6th April? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Has anyone thought through what the phrase, "..... on a roof and within 1 metre of the external edge of that roof;" means?

Is it effectively just the verge or hip (sides) rather than ridge (top) or eaves (bottom)?

Regards
Bruce

Did anyone every come up with a definitive answer to this? Like Earthstore, I take it to mean 1m all round (ie. including eaves and ridge) but that obviously has a significant impact on the size of array that can be installed. (I am loathe to contact my local council at this stage as history has proven them clueless).

the solar PV or solar thermal equipment would be installed on a roof and within 1 metre of the external edge of that roof;
(d)
the solar PV or solar thermal equipment would be installed on a wall and within 1 metre of a junction of that wall with another wall or with the roof of the building;
I'm working on the basis that as it specifically says 'external edge of that roof' and specifies for walls that it is the junction of that wall with another wall or roof, that this indicates that it's not talking about any HIP ridges, or even necessarily the main ridge, or any other junctions of one bit of the roof with another, but would apply to the gutter of the roof, and any external edges at the ends of a gable style roof face.

We have had a customer check with planning, and they agreed with this, and even said they weren't really bothered about the 1m rule if it wasn't really visible from the road anyway.

1m from the actual edges is a good idea anyway for maintenance etc, which is probably what the rule is about.

Gav A, I had to look at the link on the first page I posted and I do agree regarding edges of building 1 meter clearance, not the ridge and gutter.

Im losing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to New planning rules from 6th April? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back