Discuss new shop in leeds in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

have carried out projects in shopping centres and have found it a lot quicker using pirelli FP200 cable. Easier to strip but more expensive to buy. Don't try the other cheaper stuff as some idiot decided it was a good idea to put cloth, aluminium foil and plastic inside the cable to make it harder to strip!

ok doh key, its very interewsting i must say, so is the tray coming under exposed conductive part and can be connected via cpc? does this mean for example i can just come off one of my 16a commando sockets with an earth connection to the tray?

had a good day today and got most of the conduit up, and a nice dollop of concrete dust in me eye! y didnt i wear goggles :-(

hi jonboy good to see this thread getting back on track,shakeys the wind beneath my wings
and you sparkyork

Last edited by a moderator:
ok doh key, its very interewsting i must say, so is the tray coming under exposed conductive part and can be connected via cpc? does this mean for example i can just come off one of my 16a commando sockets with an earth connection to the tray?

had a good day today and got most of the conduit up, and a nice dollop of concrete dust in me eye! y didnt i wear goggles :-(

'tis interesting aint it?

well if the tray is an exposed conductive part (and its still an 'if) then it would HAVE to be connected to the MET via a CPC, as i have said it could be not be bonded, main or supplementary

So if its via a CPC, then presumably you would have to give it at least an R2 check and include it on your schedule of test results - but against which circuit I wonder:rolleyes:

and commando sockets, surely you mean BS EN 60309-2 (BS4343) old chap

Shakeys note to self - *get out more* :p

yeah tho's are the ones! lol the old 4343's!

mmm, im gonna have 7 or 8, or maybe more circuits running on this tray!

say i did it against circuit 1 for example; refridgerator circuit, are you saying that on the R1 + R2 test on this circuit that i would have to add the tray resistance to the R2 of this particular circuit? and connect from the earthing block within the 4343 to the tray via a suitable crimp connection?

i would have to do this on the other side of the building as there are 2 power trays that are not connected to each other.

rich

ps. bloody eye still killing me!

rich,
i am not an expert
411.3.1.1 just says "a protective conductor"it doesn't specify any circuit
have a read post your thoughts

still reading the big red book, in chapter 54; 542.4.1 item (iii) functional earthing conductors (if required)....im now looking at 543.1.4 table 54.7, i know this table is where you decide a 25mm incoming tails supply has a 16mm main earthing cable, however, if it turns out that a cpc is required to be fitted to the tray then could it be that ill need to add up the sizes of line conductors on my tray and work out the size of the cpc from there and run this back to the MET...

im getting confused to say the least! lol! might just get rid of the tray and buy some 6 x 1 timber!

trays fine ,
sparks usually bond it to either another exposed conductive part or a cpc eventually bonding back to the earthbar usually 4mm but dont ask me where in the regs this is!!

Hi Rich

Just been catching up on your shop, from what I see it should be used by customs and excise cos it looks like it's going to be a "Bonded Store". Sorry about that but I feel better now.

Looking back you had some question about the wiring for the lighting in the store. If you want to let me know the details of the floor area number of fittings (including size and style) and what ideas there are for the layout I will have a look for you.

Cheers
Tony

ha he lol!

cheers tony, the front area of the shop measures about 12m x 7.3m and is 5.5m high, the custromer has been in contact with jcc i beleive and im also led to beleive he's going for a 150w pendant style fitting(thnk metal halide variety). he's told me hes getting 6 of these for this front area and ive have installed 3 conduit runs from the tray up and over the cieling to these rough positions (current spacing is like a "6" on a dominoe piece! ive spaced these as equally as i deemed wise to and there is a bit of movement if need be. (not too much tho!) the height is gonna be one consideration i guess.

the back end of the shop is gonna be a mezzanine floor area with grid style floo's (4 tube variety), the numbes of these arnt confirmed yet as its not even built yet etc and ive also told him to get some of these with e'lighting as well.

any suggestions always welcome!!

rich

From what you have posted previously I reckon you already have an idea but my thoughts are.

Divide the standard fittings and run them off two seperate breakers. Run the e/lights off a third breaker. I would have the actual switching controlled through a contactor (240volt coil the A1 fed from the same supply as the e/lights). By doing this a ballast blowing will only take out a max of 50% lighting in the shop and the actual load at the wall switches will be kept to a minimum. It is also easier to add extra lighting at a later date. You can also split the load between phases without having a 415 potential at the switches. With the contactor control voltage off the same feed as the e/lights a contactor failure should bring on the e/lights.

If your domino design is set up one third width of room distance between wall and first row you may find that you will have to move the fittings slightly towards the walls to get an even light spread. This depends a lot on the actual reflector type fitted to what I am assuming are the commercial style Hibay fittings.

Sorry if I have been trying to teach granny to suck eggs but hope it helps or gives you a laugh.

Cheers

Tony.

thats great chees tony, i was thinking about the need for a contactor or not as well, not sure how much current these lights pull but like you say if its on a contactor then its easy to sort, spesh not having 400v at the switches as well!
so you reckong i just want two rows of three fed by individual mcbs. all via a contactor system.

Hi Rich

That sounds fine but you can play round with all sorts of options by using a contactor. If you put the feed to the mez lights through the third pole and used a secure or key switch for the contactor control this could be situated by the staff entry/exit point allowing a last man total switch off of the lighting. You can then run this feed through your local switching points for the mez lighting, Obviously if this area is to be in use when the shop is not lit it will not be suitable.

Lots to think about and possibly impress your client with.

lots of ideas, i like it!

too much too think about tho, its starting to do my head in, spesh when im trying to get to sleep! not gonna be there till monday now as ive got some metal in my eye from drilling the conduiit on the cieling, been in and got the metal removed but its left a rust ring in my iris now!

rich

Take it steady Rich and have a good weekend. Reckon Wayne's right about the goggles but there again I keep leaving mine in the van and remember them when something catches me.:cool:

yeah should be great fun getting me eye ball scraped! thanks guys and yeah im gonna wear em all the time now! think it must of been the reinforcing metal of the cienling i was drilling into!

rich

worse time i had with something in the eye was a simple peice of dust while waiting for a bus (a while ago)by the time i got off the bus i couldnt keep either eye open had to cross the street blind and hop on another bus for the hospital .

right then, ive abandonned the main shop area now till they build the mezzanine etc.
im now upstairs in the yoga room and office and wc rooms!

im having to do it surface in the yoga room, ive got power cables and lv cables to run through this area to rellavent accesories. im using 50x50 trunking and dropping out in pvc conduit etc, i know you have to keep these cables a good 50mm apart (power & lv) but is there any need to keep individual trunking this far apart?

would look so much better if i could run all trunking along side each other! does the plastic act as any kind of interference get ridderofer! lol

Eyes ok now, had to have my cornea grinded abit to get rid of the rust ring.

rich

Reply to new shop in leeds in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock