Discuss New to me : Air Source Heat Pump in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Chaps

Starting 3 new builds shortly.

Had brief chat with plumber today over phone, mentioned that an air source heat pump will be part of the set up.

Pressurised system with buffer tank, UFH ground floor & rads first floor.

It's a first but never had anything to do with air source heat pumps before.
Can normally manage the rest of the heating ok (after bit of head scratching) and do quite enjoy making it all look pretty.

Any pointers please? Is it simple enough normally, have my doubts.
Or is something that a 'renewables spark' would get involved with. Don't want to get started with something that is going to waste my time, would rather call in a.n.other if need be.

Cheers Sy

An air source heat pump is just a backwards aircon unit.
Basically a pump pressurises the outside air and that heats the air up. the heat gain is less than the electrical energy used. That hot air can then be distributed.
But is sounds like yours maybe an Air-to-water system which uses the hot air to heat water that then gets distributed.

from an electrical point of view it will involve an external unit to be powered. You'll need to know the power requirements for that and access re cabling. I presume the plumber is handling the rest of the system?

Sounds like a new bit of tech to play with :)

Last few I have done have been 14KW Mitsubishi ecodans that come with a flow temperature controller. 10mm on a 40A circuit breaker to rotary isolator that's sited within 1 meter of the outdoor unit. 4 core control cable between outdoor unit and flow temperature controller. 5 core between flow temperature controller and heating wiring centre which is connected to an S-plan set up and obviously a flow temp probe that's connected to the flow temperature controller. Easy enough if you break it down in to sections heating wiring (s-plan normally), Flow temperature controller wiring/connections and outdoor unit.

If its an Ecodan, the control board is reasonably easy to sort out. Always the usual gun and fames with the UFH zone controls but, again, its all a matter of understanding the logic and making sure you have enough control wires going everywhere.

Thanks Chaps....

Doesn't sound so bad then really. Power supply out with some additional control wiring.

Now on the plumbers case to get some decent schematics. Done some 'Googling' last night sure he mentioned it was a Joule system.

Does the the ASHP normally replace a boiler then or work along side?

Cheers Sy

I've only ever seen them in place of a boiler.

Reply to New to me : Air Source Heat Pump in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock