Discuss Newbie Handyman looking for advice about electric roller garage door switch! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, Please excuse the 'jump straight in' thread! I've tried looking all over the internet for a solution to my problem, but can only find links to Landlord and Tennant issues!!
I have an electric roller shutter door on my garage that has been installed for a number of years. I used to be able to operate it from a 'bell' switch inside the house. However, an electrician has told me that there is some damage to the wire between the garage and the house as the switch doesn't work any more.
To save the aggro of having to dig up the concrete and brick paving driveway between the garage and house I'd like to put a keyed switch up on the outside of the garage to operate as the new switch, or as a replacement for the bell switch inside the house.
Am I right in thinking I can connect up the old bell wire from inside the garage to the back of the keyed switch so it can still be operated in that way (as a failsafe incase the remote key fob gives up the ghost)?
The bell switch used to operate by pushing the switch opens the door. Pushing again during the opening process stopped the door immediately and then pressing again started the closing process. Or, if the door was open already, pressing it would start the closing process (pressing during that would stop and then pressing again would reverse the closing process).
Thanks, in advance for your help.

should be OK. first thing is to get hold of the bell wire from the control box. cut it, then see if shorting the pair operates the door. if so, all you need to do is extend the bell wire to where you want the switch and fit a switch. .always assuming that the existing switch is a simple push to make.

should be OK. first thing is to get hold of the bell wire from the control box. cut it, then see if shorting the pair operates the door. if so, all you need to do is extend the bell wire to where you want the switch and fit a switch. .always assuming that the existing switch is a simple push to make.
Great, thanks for that! Good tip and advice to test the 'shorting' too. I wouldn't have thought of that before making the hole for the switch!! Doh!

It sounds like the existing bell switch is a Momentary Push operated switch & your 'Keyed Switch' will be a Stay-Put operated switch... Is this correct?

It sounds like the existing bell switch is a Momentary Push operated switch & your 'Keyed Switch' will be a Stay-Put operated switch... Is this correct?
Err ... no idea. I haven't bought the keyed switch yet. The existing switch is just a push and operate type (I think), but I've no idea what the keyed switch is. I'm looking to be able to operate the door with the key rather than have a simple bell switch that anyone can use on the outside of the garage.

Err ... no idea. I haven't bought the keyed switch yet. The existing switch is just a push and operate type (I think), but I've no idea what the keyed switch is. I'm looking to be able to operate the door with the key rather than have a simple bell switch that anyone can use on the outside of the garage.

The 'bell' switch will just give a signal for the length of time you press the button. Momentary..
You will need a Key switch that will do something similar, if you want it to operate the same. Like a 'spring-return key switch'. This will give you a signal then length of time you hold the switch in that position.

you'll find that a keyswitch is not push to make. it's on or off. you'd need to switch momentarily then switch back to operate as you need. better idea would be to ditch the keyswitch idea and fit a push to make ( same as a bell push) inside the garage. then you still have an override if the remote fails, but you may have to walk a few yards.

edit: unless you can find one.

The 'bell' switch will just give a signal for the length of time you press the button. Momentary..
You will need a Key switch that will do something similar, if you want it to operate the same. Like a 'spring-return key switch'. This will give you a signal then length of time you hold the switch in that position.
Would something like this work? Spring-loaded Momentary Security Key Switch with Shrouded Cover : Call Point & Push Buttons - Security Safety Products - http://www.securitysafetyproducts.co.uk/security/call-point-push-buttons/springloaded-momentary-security-key-switch-with-shrouded-cover.php

you'll find that a keyswitch is not push to make. it's on or off. you'd need to switch momentarily then switch back to operate as you need. better idea would be to ditch the keyswitch idea and fit a push to make ( same as a bell push) inside the garage. then you still have an override if the remote fails, but you may have to walk a few yards.

edit: unless you can find one.
Unfortunately, when the garage was built it they didn't include a side, or back access door!! Which is why I'm getting a little nervous about it all failing on me with only one remote control now since the wife broke hers!!

Normally there is an access point for a cranked handle winder for emergencies where the electrics fail. If you look carefully you should see a little hole at the top of the shutter where you connect in with the handle.

Normally there is an access point for a cranked handle winder for emergencies where the electrics fail. If you look carefully you should see a little hole at the top of the shutter where you connect in with the handle.
he might have to put some hair round it first. o_Oo_O

You can also buy replacement remote control units quite cheap with two or more remote fobs.
Usually ; as has been said there is a failsafe device to open the door in an emergency . If it is not a heavy door this can be as simple as a release pin , removed it allows the door to be raised manually depending on the type of door.

Reply to Newbie Handyman looking for advice about electric roller garage door switch! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net