Currently reading:
NIC approved contractor assessment

Discuss NIC approved contractor assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

2 years eng mate...

Only going by MDJ's post comments Glenn...

however they have dropped the time from 2 years to one year unless you are registered as a DI with them then it is 6 months,

Things have changed dramatically from the inception of the AC schemes, they bare little resemblance to what's being bandied about now. Random Inspections was once part and parcel that any AC company could be subjected too, ...bet they don't do that anymore either....

There are positives and negatives for both sides. As in my previous post, I can only speak from being involved with NIC for 25 years or so. It doesn't matter what people put forward in the pros and cons, the fact is, that the NIC is still the most recognised and respected of the organisations involved and, as such, becoming an AC/QS or whatever, still counts for a great deal.
Not as much as it used to do, that's my point.

Only going by MDJ's post comments Glenn...

Things have changed dramatically from the inception of the AC schemes, they bare little resemblance to what's being bandied about now. Random Inspections was once part and parcel that any AC company could be subjected too, ...bet they don't do that anymore either....

well...
last words out of his mouth were :...it`l be probably me next year who assesses you...so....

There are positives and negatives for both sides. As in my previous post, I can only speak from being involved with NIC for 25 years or so. It doesn't matter what people put forward in the pros and cons, the fact is, that the NIC is still the most recognised and respected of the organisations involved and, as such, becoming an AC/QS or whatever, still counts for a great deal.
Not as much as it used to do, that's my point.
well....for a start i wont backtrack on previous comments i have slung about where the NIC is concerned.....

but lets face it....they seem to be the only ones who you hear from....

even if TCs voice can be grating at times at these trade shows....

Fair enough MDJ, but i wasn't talking about signing off another company's work, far from it. I was talking about a company's designated QS signing off numerous company electricians work.
So now it can be down to trading for 6 months, that just about wraps it all up then ...lol!!

Perhaps all the photo's and tales we see about NIC AC's are fabricated, i really don't know, but it certainly opens eyes and makes you wonder what's going on if they aren't!!
Shucks, I thought that everything on the interweb and this forum was true?! :(

I bet you taught that inspector a think or two eh Glenn?
well...
funnily enough after the first install we went to he seemed to just want to look at the other stuff....what i mean is he didn`t seem to want to see me do any testing on the other 4 venues....as he said he was happy i could test and was just more interested in the actual installation methods etc...

well...
last words out of his mouth were :...it`l be probably me next year who assesses you...so....

Actually meant random inspections during the course of the year!! lol!!

I think it's pretty clear that i don't have much time for any of these money making parasites that provide little to nothing in the way of actual services. It's more of a buying in to a ''Must Have'' persona that these companies have generated in local councils and other influential bodies along with insurance companies etc!!

Why a fully indemnified and fully qualified electrical contracting company should actually need/require the likes of NICEIC or other similar outfits, to enable them to compete or submit quotes/prices for contract work etc, seems actually very wrong to me!!

Actually meant random inspections during the course of the year!! lol!!

I think it's pretty clear that i don't have much time for any of these money making parasites that provide little to nothing in the way of actual services. It's more of a buying in to a ''Must Have'' persona that these companies have generated in local councils and other influential bodies along with insurance companies etc!!

Why a fully indemnified and fully qualified electrical contracting company should actually need/require the likes of NICEIC or other similar outfits, to enable them to compete or submit quotes/prices for contract work etc, seems actually very wrong to me!!
well...the manager in the markets was saying stuff like `approved contractor is the only insurance we have` and `it means we can be sure it wont be cowboys carrying out the works....as we have had it in the past`...

stuff like that...

- - - Updated - - -

As per usual, instead of congratulating Glenn the topic has degenerated in to a mud slinging match.

Again congratulations Glenn, I know how much you put in to the assessment.
your in a good mood Tony...

you must have got the stuff i emailed you then....

well...the manager in the markets was saying stuff like `approved contractor is the only insurance we have` and `it means we can be sure it wont be cowboys carrying out the works....as we have had it in the past`...

stuff like that...

QUOTE]

Just goes to show the nonsense these councils and the like have been sold by these bodies!!
Every trading electrical contracting company in the UK/Europe requires the appropriate insurances to be in place. All these end users need do, is request copies of said indemnities as proof of compliance!!

I wonder if this markets manager has ever seen/received a penny from the likes of NICEIC in the way of compensation, I doubt it?? 9 times out of 10, it will be the electrical contractors insurance that will be doing any paying out!!

Reply to NIC approved contractor assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock