Discuss NIC approved contractor assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amazing how many sparks think getting approved contractor is just a case of money LMAO, you try and get it?

lol !!!! who do i make the cheque out to ?

i'll pass you over to my acountant............

dodgy.jpg

:-D

Contracts My friend, it only seems easy because your a proper spark, I can assure you more than half the sparks here would fail an approved contractor assessment, your business should sky rocket now if you push it, Congrats again Glenn.
Thanks Mike...

yep, he wanted to see a range of stuff i had been doing...domestic & commercial....
so took him to several board changes with main bonding install/upgrades...you know..the usual stuff we come across nearly every day..+ ECR sites at the market in town (4 of em)

there was the divine intervention church as well where i put in a load of 600x600 florrys in a suspended ceiling....10A BS3036s across 3 phases...

he seemed happy with the range of stuff i had to show him...

Last edited:
Have they given you the online Best practise yet? issue 2 has a section regarding changing a consumer unit in domestic premises where lighting circuits have no protective conductor. A good read and worth printing off and keeping on the van for customers Mate.

Have they given you the online Best practise yet? issue 2 has a section regarding changing a consumer unit in domestic premises where lighting circuits have no protective conductor. A good read and worth printing off and keeping on the van for customers Mate.
well....
if theres no CPC on the lighting circuit then i would give the customer the choice...of either having the circuit/s rewired, a seperate 4mm G/Y pulled in to each point served....
or note it...make sure class 2s throughout....

what they choose to do after i have gone is their problem....

Amazing how many sparks think getting approved contractor is just a case of money LMAO, you try and get it?

Well it is, if you're a fully qualified electrician and have all the other bit's in place like insurances etc what else do you need apart from the Cheque!!

Approved Contractor status once actually meant something, ...many years ago, but admittance criteria requirements have steadily been dropped over the years, in the pursuit of numbers and profits.

Going by some of the photos and tales we have seen on this and other electrical forums, admittance to this club, will in no way shape or form, be any guarantee that a customer is going to get a top notch job or even an electrically sound job....

Well it is, if you're a fully qualified electrician and have all the other bit's in place like insurances etc what else do you need apart from the Cheque!!

Approved Contractor status once actually meant something, ...many years ago, but admittance criteria requirements have steadily been dropped over the years, in the pursuit of numbers and profits.

Going by some of the photos and tales we have seen on this and other electrical forums, admittance to this club, will in no way shape or form, be any guarantee that a customer is going to get a top notch job or even an electrically sound job....

I'm with you there, generally. But it still means something, especially when we're talking about doing it from scratch with a small set up, as in Glenn's case. Similar to myself, I suppose.
We initially joined 20 odd years ago, where it was essential for the work undertaken.. a must have and it was like being 'of the chosen few'......how things have changed since then :sad:.
With the number of contractors involved these days, you could be forgiven for thinking that standards have gone through the roof, but we all know the true situation.
It really used to take some preparation before the annual and used to be a great relief to get it out of the way and be able to get back into the general routine. Must say, it's water off a duck's back these days, in comparison.
Congrats to Glenn. Standards, these days, are to a great extent, self determined. I know he's not one to take it lightly and will come up to the mark.

Really do wish there were a lot more of a similar ilk.

nah don't agree

Know what you mean. Part of the updated assessment involves checking 'your glass is half full' :)

Unfortunately it's the truth, whether you agree or disagree!!
How do you know that Fella? you have been out of the country for years haven't you? look there's no doubt they have made it easier to become approved than years ago, but insurance and being a spark with a cheque book won't get you straight into it, anyhow that's my view from experience being a QS with them for close to 20 years now I suppose.

How do you know that Fella? you have been out of the country for years haven't you? look there's no doubt they have made it easier to become approved than years ago, but insurance and being a spark with a cheque book won't get you straight into it, anyhow that's my view from experience being a QS with them for close to 20 years now I suppose.

Being out of the country doesn't mean i'm deaf, dumb and blind, and retained no contacts in the UK and Europe!!

You know and i know, that when in the distant past being assessed as an Approved Contractor, you had to jump through the loops to gain that status. When it first came in, the company needed to have been trading for min 3 years, that's changed to 1 year or something daft now. Installation assessments needed to cover a varied scope of works, not 5 of the same, (so to speak) and so on and so on!!

You even admit that the NICEIC have made it easier to become approved than years ago, so what's the idea behind that then?? And we all know what AC QS's are allowed to get away with, when signing off others work!! Which when you think about it, makes a mockery of the whole thing!!

I have the greatest respect for Glennspark and how he emerged as a fully qualified electrician through his own will and determination. But would he have been able, to have even applied to become AP at this stage/point in his working career 20 /25 years ago?? Alas i think not!!

Anyway, so what else would a qualified spark need, ....other than the 5 jobs to show, the relevant insurances and a Cheque book?? And no, i'm not talking about electrical trainee's here, but i can see that being acceptable in the not too distant future. ...lol!!

Money has become far more important to the NICEIC and other such company's, than qualifications, ability, experience, or even safety. And that's where the whole approved contractor systems falls down on it's head. Things Ain't what they used to be, it's as simple and as truthful as that!!

I would not be allowed to sign off another companies works fella, if I did that I would be removed from the roll, some of what you say may indeed have merit, but not everything you say is correct IMO, it is exactly the same now regarding inspections and adhering to the rules of the roll as it was 20 years ago, however they have dropped the time from 2 years to one year unless you are registered as a DI with them then it is 6 months, obviously they have to compete with other schemes but they still have much higher standards than others and my engineer who visits me every year is no soft touch regarding quality of works and ensuring all is done right, but as always I respect your views and know we will get nowhere continuing this debate, you have your views I have 20 years experience dealing with them, we won't ever agree for sure.

I fully understand that the criteria will have changed from lets say 20 years ago but i can tell you all now that this chap who came round was much more on the ball than the previous assessors....not to take any credit away from them of course but the criteria is definately higher...than lets say a part P assessment....i have had both now...so can make fair comparisons...

this guy was into more in depth of what I had been doing/installing...and wanted to see the full range of tests....
not just a quick IR & loop....as is the case on most part P assessments...

they go more into selection & erection as well (hence the reason they specify GN1 on the assessment)...

I can understand peoples views on this....and as someone who respects both Eng & Mike i would not disagree with either of them....

Thing is i wanted back into that market....as well as getting other local authority work.....and whether we like it or not....local authoritys tend to rub shoulders with one particular organisation...

there, i have tried to be diplomatic about it and as i am sure most know in here i tend to struggle with the concept so...

I would not be allowed to sign off another companies works fella, if I did that I would be removed from the roll, some of what you say may indeed have merit, but not everything you say is correct IMO, it is exactly the same now regarding inspections and adhering to the rules of the roll as it was 20 years ago, however they have dropped the time from 2 years to one year unless you are registered as a DI with them then it is 6 months, obviously they have to compete with other schemes but they still have much higher standards than others and my engineer who visits me every year is no soft touch regarding quality of works and ensuring all is done right, but as always I respect your views and know we will get nowhere continuing this debate, you have your views I have 20 years experience dealing with them, we won't ever agree for sure.

Fair enough MDJ, but i wasn't talking about signing off another company's work, far from it. I was talking about a company's designated QS signing off numerous company electricians work.
So now it can be down to trading for 6 months, that just about wraps it all up then ...lol!!

Perhaps all the photo's and tales we see about NIC AC's are fabricated, i really don't know, but it certainly opens eyes and makes you wonder what's going on if they aren't!!

Fair enough MDJ, but i wasn't talking about signing off another company's work, far from it. I was talking about a company's designated QS signing off numerous company electricians work.
So now it can be down to trading for 6 months, that just about wraps it all up then ...lol!!

Perhaps all the photo's and tales we see about NIC AC's are fabricated, i really don't know, but it certainly opens eyes and makes you wonder what's going on if they aren't!!
2 years eng mate...

I'm surprised they actually carried out an assessment. The usual trick is tell you they notified you of an appt by post which never got entered onto their system...they then pretend to turn up without you being aware of any such date and then proceed with a surcharge of around £200 for the missed appt.

That happened to us twice last year!!...

Just turned up and then tried to Bill us...

Once received a letter on the same day that the appointment was meant to be, picked the post up and not long after he arrived...unbelievable...

That happened to us twice last year!!...

Just turned up and then tried to Bill us...

Once received a letter on the same day that the appointment was meant to be, picked the post up and not long after he arrived...unbelievable...
well...i`m not being funny guys...but i wont be `got` like that...

no one tries pulling my pants down like that...

Reply to NIC approved contractor assessment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net