Discuss Have I gone over the top with Lighting ? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

tlogic

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am currently in the process of building an extension and I need to purchase some led downlights for my kitchen but unsure how many I should
buy as the last thing I want to do is for my kitchen to look like an Airport runway. Is there a formula of some sort to work out how many downlighters I need to purchase ?

Currently my lighting layout which I have marked up consists of the following:

15 recessed downlights
11m of recessed ceiling led strip lights
9m of of recessed ceiling led strip light around roof lantern
undercabinet strip lighting
3 pendents over island.

Size of my kitchen is 5.5m x 5.5m x 2.5 high.

Have I gone slightly OTT?

Attachments

• lighting layout.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 23
Go outside with a tape measure and put pegs, rocks whatever to rough out the kitchen plan - then overlay it with what your proposing with downlights. Yes - I think you’ll find you may have overcooked this!

Nah. Be fine.

Different lights for different uses.

I’ve fitted out plenty of designed kitchens… downlights in ceiling, lights under cabinet, lights inside cabinets with glass doors…. Pin spotlights on kickboard……

Can never have enough.

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of building an extension and I need to purchase some led downlights for my kitchen but unsure how many I should
buy as the last thing I want to do is for my kitchen to look like an Airport runway. Is there a formula of some sort to work out how many downlighters I need to purchase ?

Currently my lighting layout which I have marked up consists of the following:

15 recessed downlights
11m of recessed ceiling led strip lights
9m of of recessed ceiling led strip light around roof lantern
undercabinet strip lighting
3 pendents over island.

Size of my kitchen is 5.5m x 5.5m x 2.5 high.

Have I gone slightly OTT?
For the ceiling, i would work on a 1mtr spacing for the recessed down lighters, that will give you good light.
Under cabinet lighting is a must and i would switch them separately to the downlighters.
The lighting over the island i would consider to be more for visual effect that performance and as such, would not rely on thos to provide 'room' light

seen a couple of your posts now and IMO you are trying to save money by doing the design and install yourself even though you have no qualifications to do so, I and I hope others in this case will not help, get help via a tradesman please.

Reply to Have I gone over the top with Lighting ? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net