Discuss What do I replace this light with? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

NutterzUK

DIY
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm not an electrician, I'm just a homeowner who thought they were about to do something as simple as replace a bulb only to find the task seems more confusing.

We have some kitchen units and inside them are some LED lights. I've attached a couple of photos (light and ligh2).

So I went out to buy a replacement from B&Q and got the light in the next photo to replace it.

I opened that up and the connection is nothing like the cable coming into the old one (that's a big power cable and this seems to have a tiny 2 pin connector).

Clearly I bought the wrong light - they were the only non recessed downlights I saw in B&Q and I guess I assumed it would be an easy like for like replacement.

My question is: What do I need to replace this light that I have like for like? I can't seem to find any numbers on it or anything useful that tells me what I need to look for.

It feels a bit bonkers because I thought it would be super straight forward.

Any advice is really appreciated, and I know it's an easy/dumb question for someone that knows.

TL;DR
What kind of light do I need to buy to replace this existing one?

Attachments

• light.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 38
  • light2.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 325603890_717687733282859_69704344365939356_n.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 325583442_624849042775232_4332662067756116377_n.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 37
If that bundle of cable in the last pic belongs to the light you've bought, then it's probably 12volts, and needs a transformer or driver to connect it to 230 volts.
Any idea if the original is 12 or 230 volts?
Are you sure the original is LED and that it doesn't come apart? I've seen fittings like that where the front comes off to reveal a G4 or G9 halogen lamp.

I agree with @brianmoooore there is a fair chance the black housing will twist out from the bezel.

Thanks for your reply and help!

That bundle of cables did come from the one I bought - and that was the part that surprised me. I think you are spot on, the ones before must be 230v and the one I bought needs a transformer (Or I need to go and buy another 230v light).

I had a go trying to get the black housing to twist out. It was held in by some small little folded pieces of metal (see facia.jpg), so it took me a while to get out. I'm not so sure I was ever meant to take that out, i've attached some photos.

I followed the wire up through to the top of the units where it goes into a junction box kind of thing with a cable going off to the other units light and a white cable going into the wall.

I can see on 'inside.jpg' that in the top right of the middle section is a bit that looks slightly like it has burnt, I guess that's why this light isn't working.

I'm still unsure what I can do to find a like-for-like replacement. It doesn't need to be exactly the same as I could replace both of them (There is a unit next to this with the same light in).

I don't think I saw anything like this at B&Q, the only ones I saw were the ones I bought (which seemingly won't connect with what we have here!)

I'm wondering if it's something like this that I need?

I'm not an electrician and don't really know what I'm doing (if it gets complicated I'm going to call someone that is an electrician!), but I'm guessing that because the light I bought has two very thin wires coming off it compared to the ones that were there originally having a big thick cable, that what I had (and need to replace with) is a 230v light, and what I've bought is not that. I can't help but feel like a total moron not being able to easily complete a job that I thought was replacing a bulb, but hey ho!

Attachments

• facia.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 11
  • inside.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 10
  • inside-back.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 11
  • top-of-units.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
So it’s a 230v LED fitting. You can’t replace the bulbs.

Just buy replacement complete fittings.

12v, you would need a transformer between the mains voltage and the fitting.

Be careful with that round joint box. It could be live in there.

So it’s a 230v LED fitting. You can’t replace the bulbs.

Just buy replacement complete fittings.

12v, you would need a transformer between the mains voltage and the fitting.

Be careful with that round joint box. It could be live in there.
Thanks! I'll give it a go. I think by mentioning 230v you've pointed me in the right direction and I can now find what I need. Thank you! I'll make sure to turn the whole downstairs lighting ring off before doing anything. I'll post up a picture when it's all done

Those round jointboxes are a bit old hat now and don’t really comply with new regulations as there is no cable restraint.

These plug and socket combinations are quite handy.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/green...tor-with-quick-click-push-fit-terminals/326pg

Those round jointboxes are a bit old hat now and don’t really comply with new regulations as there is no cable restraint.

These plug and socket combinations are quite handy.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/green...tor-with-quick-click-push-fit-terminals/326pg
Thanks. We only had the kitchen put in about 4 years ago. Has this changed recently?

18th edition came out in 2018.... but im pretty sure it was a requirement before that.

The regs police will be along in a minute to clarify.

It's an improvement on the cable in a similar place in my son's new build as it is!
Stripped and splayed bare live ends, with nothing attached.

Reply to What do I replace this light with? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net