Discuss No bathroom RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Some numpty has put in a ceiling fan with a pull cord above a bath - ceiling is getting very damp and apparently water keeps dripping out, I guess due to condensation in the duct.

Customer (tenant) wants me to put in an in-line fan, and as it doesn't have a fan isolator switch, add an appropriate switch.

Old Wylex board, TNCS.

My thinking is what I've been asked to do doesn't infringe current regs. Fan is outside the bathroom, my only query is if I put in a pull isolator switch for the fan, is that required to be RCD protected? If so, can put a switch outside the bathroom just below the ceiling above the door. In which case no concealed wiring and not in a special location.

Thoughts? I would prefer to put in a pull switch! Have also suggested the tenant tells the landlord that CU upgrading would be a good idea.

Is this not a job for the landlord to organise ?why is the tenant paying for this , i thought there was now a reg for cables running over a special location (the loft space) nead to be rcd protected as well

Why would you fit an isolator in the bathroom for a piece of equipment which is not in the bathroom?

Isolators should ideally be placed adjacent to the equipment they isolate.

The means of isolation for an inline fan should be next to it, not in another room! Personally I fit a 4pin click flow socket to plug the fan in to, it makes repair/replacement easier

davesparks:
The reason for the fan isolator was to turn it off at night, to reduce noise etc. (kids in house)

Flanders:
The regs say cables running THROUGH a special location need RCD protection (not over)

Last edited:
Is this not a job for the landlord to organise ?why is the tenant paying for this , i thought there was now a reg for cables running over a special location (the loft space) nead to be rcd protected as well

Did I say the tenant was paying for it? Seemed logical that tenant organises it, tells landlord costs and if agreeable organises work being done at a convenient time!

davesparks:
The reason for the fan isolator was to turn it off at night, to reduce noice etc. (kids in house)

Flanders:
The regs say cables running THROUGH a special location need RCD protection (not over)

So really you want a functional switch, it'll be no use as an isolator for the reasons above (unless it's properly lockable)

Sorry my mistake it was because you said the tenant was the customer and i always see the customer is the person paying for the work :) any way im guessing you want to put a switch in for the fan so you can turn it on or off seperate to the light, as said just check about cables running in loft above bathrooms ,
Edit

Just read your post above sounds like you dont nead an rcd then :)

Last edited:
Why not fit a humidistat instead of the on/off switch - there's then no option not to turn on the fan when it's required, which might account for the damp ceiling.
It'll need rcd protection then for the humidistat. Something needs doing to the ducting, to get rid of the condensation.

Why do you need a lockable isolator for a bathroom fan????
You don't if the fan is by the switch or in the same room.
You need to be able to lock it in the off position if the fan is in a different location, say loft for instance.

If an isolator is not located adjacent to/ in a position where it is in the control of the person working on the equipment then it needs to be lockable.
So you think that every isolator that is not in the positions you are stating, in a domestic setting, is lockable then?? You guys don't do much domestic stuff obviously. If there is any doubt, just isolate it as the CU FFS.

So you think that every isolator that is not in the positions you are stating, in a domestic setting, is lockable then?? You guys don't do much domestic stuff obviously. If there is any doubt, just isolate it as the CU FFS.

I don't think they are, but if you want to comply then they should be.
Bs7671 makes no distinction between domestic and any other installation (except the idiotic non combustible reg)

Fitting fan isolator switches above doors for online fans is ugly and pointless. If you want a useful isolator fit it next to the fan, preferably in the form of a plug and socket connection for easy disconnect and removal.
If the customer wants a ready means of switching it off for a switch next to the light switch or at socket level adjacent to the door. Fitting them at high level just looks ugly and puts them out of reasonable reach for a functional switch.

I can't stand the blindly copying what other people do mentality of some 'electricians' who seem to think that fan isolators must be at high level/above doors just because they've seen other people do it.
I've even had one slagging me off for not fitting a high level isolator for a wall mounted fan which was controlled by its own seperate switch on a 2g plate switch outside the bathroom!

Dave, I think we are in some sort of conflicting agreement here. You are probably right about BS7671, but personally I think it has been taken to stupid levels domestically. As you have stated, the average householder does not want additional crap littering the newly installed offering from porcelainacossta or whatever the posh bog outlets are called, they just want wall to wall bling. Most fans are on timers and activated by the light switch, which is another topic.....In 99% of visits to work on clogged up fans Mrs Smith just sits downstairs watching Jeremy Kyle and comes no where near the bathroom, I have never felt that it is remotely likely that there would be a dangerous situation. If I did I would isolate the entire circuit feeding the fan at the CU. Personally, for in-line fans (these might be similar to online ones) mounted in the loft, I would just put them on 3 or 4 way click connectors so you just unplug the entire thing. As you intimate, I cannot see why this causes so much concern technically when it is always so simple practically.

Like you I put them on click connectors. That way I can connect the flex to the fan outside of the loft and spend the minimum possible amount of time in the loft full of itchy-poo

I offer the customers the fan isolator at low level of they want one, but avoid putting them high level unless actually specified.

I don't think they are, but if you want to comply then they should be.
Bs7671 makes no distinction between domestic and any other installation (except the idiotic non combustible reg)

Fitting fan isolator switches above doors for online fans is ugly and pointless. If you want a useful isolator fit it next to the fan, preferably in the form of a plug and socket connection for easy disconnect and removal.
If the customer wants a ready means of switching it off for a switch next to the light switch or at socket level adjacent to the door. Fitting them at high level just looks ugly and puts them out of reasonable reach for a functional switch.

I can't stand the blindly copying what other people do mentality of some 'electricians' who seem to think that fan isolators must be at high level/above doors just because they've seen other people do it.
I've even had one slagging me off for not fitting a high level isolator for a wall mounted fan which was controlled by its own seperate switch on a 2g plate switch outside the bathroom!

Would you class this as isolating all poles for maintence? And out of interest how do you comply with MI of fusing to 3amp?

[/B]
Would you class this as isolating all poles for maintence? And out of interest how do you comply with MI of fusing to 3amp?

What do you mean by all poles? In a TN installation only the line conductor need be isolated (with the exception of the main switch in an installation not under the control of a skilled person)

As far as I am concerned 3A fusing of fans can be buggered. The circuit ocpd is there to protect the cables, not the appliances, if they require protection it is up to the manufacturer to provide suitable protection in the appliance.
None of the devices we use for protection in installations are suitable for appliance protection, neither MCBs nor 1361 fuses provide suitable protection for appliances, you'd need the little 5x20mm fuses for that.

Just to add to the debate. Click Scholmore offer a grid FCU, where the permanent supply to the fan can be fused. Or you can wire in such a way that the whole supply to the fan is fused. As to the positioning of fan isolator at high level (which I do myself I have to admit), I'm guessing perhaps the reasoning, is doesn't looking pleasing at normal switch height outside bathroom. Putting it at high level adds a small degree of safety from it being inadvertently turned back on during any maintenance, cleaning perhaps by the home owner.

Reply to No bathroom RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock