Discuss Nuisance RCD tripping advice please in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Uklad

-
Reaction score
My 3 year old install for a while has been giving me issue with nuisance tripping the 30ma RCD in a 17a Split board I had originally thought the cause was a faulty outside light but one morning recently it was tripping so many times I managed to isolate the problem by switching of the MCB to the inverter..

This only seems to happen on very wet windy mornings when the Inverter is starting up, having read the manual I also have concerns about the shut down times on the inverter when connected in the way it is at present.

I believe this to be a common problem and my understanding is the best course of action is to move the PV system from the Main CU to a garage unit but what I cannot find for certain what breaker is required.

I have a 16 Panel 4kw system on a Power-one 3.6-TL-outd inverter
All the cabling is surface mount in the roof space or in conduit else where

Any advice you could offer ?

My 3 year old install for a while has been giving me issue with nuisance tripping the 30ma RCD in a 17a Split board I had originally thought the cause was a faulty outside light but one morning recently it was tripping so many times I managed to isolate the problem by switching of the MCB to the inverter..

This only seems to happen on very wet windy mornings when the Inverter is starting up, having read the manual I also have concerns about the shut down times on the inverter when connected in the way it is at present.

I believe this to be a common problem and my understanding is the best course of action is to move the PV system from the Main CU to a garage unit but what I cannot find for certain what breaker is required.

I have a 16 Panel 4kw system on a Power-one 3.6-TL-outd inverter
All the cabling is surface mount in the roof space or in conduit else where

Any advice you could offer ?

d6b1396449c6fcf5686392c07f78d80b.png
f9bee205a72df914aef93ed426195716.png
It says the maximum is 19A for the OCPD in the manual. As the installation method doesn't require RCD protection I would move it to a a non RCD protected way if you have a high integrity board. Failing that install a separate board with a main switch.

Last edited:
There in lies the problem, installer initially was helpful then said he would arrange for his spark to come round I did not hear anything for a while and now not returning my calls.

16 or 20A dual pole MCB is how we usually do it, though single pole will be fine if there's already an isolator for the circuit next to the consumer unit.

A typical install here in Cyprus, for Power one or other inverters, assuming it's a Net Metering installation, is to take supply from the DB using a 20A 2P MCB with type 2 surge arrestor, then at the inverter another 20A 2P MCB with A type 100mA rcd. Outside protected circuits seperated. May be worth checking the strings for leakage, measure DC volts from positive to ground and then from negative to ground, if the sum of these equals the string voltage you have a problem

Reply to Nuisance RCD tripping advice please in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net