Discuss Nuisance tripping after splitting a ring main in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

hello everyone
again thanks for all the helpful suggestions last night.
So far so good not tripping on the new radial circuit and unless there is we won't be going back for a week or so until we can go back in the day time. I can't cope with getting home at 1:30 and then getting up 5:30 yes I know I'm a light weight. but when we do I will post on here what we find.
But if anyone wants to guess as to why a perfectly good circuit should get an earth fault on both legs where we are getting 240v. please feel free to post

I assume from a brief perusal of this shambolic scenario that the OP either does not have an IR tester or does not know how to use one. That's fine.....but the trick is to get a person in who does have one and knows how to use it before someone gets electrocuted or the place burns down.
I always find it better to get all the facts before making unhelpful statements
and As I was always told if you have nothing useful or help to say then say nothing.

And the fact that I had several tips from people who have probably forgotten more than i know yet still could come up with an answer to my problem proves that it was not a straight forward problem and even if I had given in and called on someone else they would have had to follow the same steps that I followed.

I grant you maybe quicker but neither the less the same steps and I would not have learnt anything.

but thank you for your input.

and As I was always told if you have nothing useful or help to say then say nothing.

And the fact that I had several tips from people who have probably forgotten more than i know yet still could come up with an answer to my problem proves that it was not a straight forward problem and even if I had given in and called on someone else they would have had to follow the same steps that I followed.

I grant you maybe quicker but neither the less the same steps and I would not have learnt anything.

but thank you for your input.

What make and model of tester do you have?

And the fact that I had several tips from people who have probably forgotten more than i know yet still could come up with an answer to my problem
So what was the answer to your problem? I thought it was still ongoing?

So what was the answer to your problem? I thought it was still ongoing?
it still is as it was gone midnight by the time we packed up.
finding what we believe to be the first socket on the ring was easy the harder part was finding the last socket as it was located in a ladder with 6 FCU's with very little slack on any of the cables

i would like to know how you get on would be really interested in the final result if you need a second pair of eyes i would be willing to look i think you mentioned your in leytonstone i am originally from walthamstow so still some times in the area.

i would like to know how you get on would be really interested in the final result if you need a second pair of eyes i would be willing to look i think you mentioned your in leytonstone i am originally from walthamstow so still some times in the area.
Morning Tony
Thanks for you offer but as I'd said previously now that the kitchen is on a radial and everything seems to be working fine. we will not be going back to the job for a few weeks as I would prefer to tackle the repairs in the daytime and not as we have been doing after work.
But I will keep everyone informed as to the out come

I might be missing something here but I thought you still had faults on 2 sections of the ring? Have you isolated both ends of this section? Apologies if I've misunderstood.

Did the circuit ever work correctly in the first place and was anything done electrically just prior to the issue starting? It’s not something like the neutrals being in the wrong neutral bar of the CU (ignoring your test results).

Did the circuit ever work correctly in the first place and was anything done electrically just prior to the issue starting? It’s not something like the neutrals being in the wrong neutral bar of the CU (ignoring your test results).
No the ring had ben working perfectly since it was installed which I'm told was a few years ago. and no nothing has been added and no work carried out so no chance of a stray screw or nail being the problem.
as for the neutrals being in the wrong bar no as this would have tripped the other RCD. but cheers for asking

thread's gone down too far for the arms. let's put it in the feet.
In
I'm not sure why you would say it's embarrassing ?

is it because of my experience at fault finding or the fact that no one on here can come up with a step by step suggestion that would solve the issue.
other than get someone in who could solve the problem yet not explaine how to solve the problem if that makes sense
And by saying this I'm not implying that people on here don't know their stuff just that fault finding by it's very nature is sometimes complicated.

and again I really do appreciate all the suggestions and helpful comments.

Reply to Nuisance tripping after splitting a ring main in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net