Discuss Old double light switch wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is there any particular reason you wish to know this? I think if you have to ask such a question and plan to do some "changing" of ...anything in fact, you are probably out of your depth with a two way lighting and single switch wiring. The wiring termination is very poor and the switch is damaged. Is that live? Looks like the light is on in the hall. Not a good idea.

I have a pretty good idea which terminal is which and I would confirm my thoughts using appropriate test equipment. But, from that photo, it looks to me like it is not connected properly.

As @Vortigern has already suggested, you may be out of your depth and the best advice we could give you is to contact a local electrician (you should be able to find one here on the forums).

If you are just wanting a switch changed, that's not an expensive job and as I say, they may well find it isn't connected as it should be.

Its a light switch in the hall way, its a very old house and the light switching works perfectly well. My father in law is doing some decorating and wanted to update the switch. I have replaced many switches before but never seen one like this without any markings

Hi

I have this lighting socket but has no markings, does anyone have any idea what is L1,L2 and Com

Many thanks
Paul

View attachment 37139
At first glance that looks like a 2 gang 2 way switch 1 being used as a 2 way fed at the other end of the 2 way set up the other switch a 1 way, have you isolated the circuit? very dangerous if you haven't best get a Sparky in to change your switch, better safe that sorry an electric shock is not a nice experience, and can of course be fatal.
On a 2 way switch Com is usually the terminal for the L feed L1 and L2 used for the strappers between the 2 2way switches, a simple job for someone who knows what they are doing, you might get lucky and do it right, on the other hand!!!!!!!!!Bang Hospital, or Bang Dead

Hi

Its completely isolated and tested, correct one switch just controls the downstairs light and the other switches the light upstairs from 2 locations (up and downstairs)

Paul it would be quite easy for someone to tell you how to do this change over, but I for one feel it would be wrong to do so, I couldn't live with myself it something happened to you, do yourself a favour and hire a Sparks, 15 min job if all goes well, if you lived closer I would help you out, but Essex to far for me.

and if you wish to fit a decorative metal switch, there are other considerations. does the lighting circuit have a cpc ( earth) and how can you tell if it's compliant without proper test equipment.

My issue with the current connections is that if you look closely, the finish of the cores is subtley different on the two cables, as is the direction they enter. Based on that, I believe the two sets are mixed up and whilst I'm not questioning the OP's assertion that all is well, something just doesn't sit right with me as it is currently connected.

Hi

Thank you this is what I thought, I used to be a qualified electrician but a long time ago and now I am a telecoms engineer. I hadn't seen a switch like this before without markings so just wanted to get a little advice

many thanks for everyones help

Paul

My issue with the current connections is that if you look closely, the finish of the cores is subtley different on the two cables, as is the direction they enter. Based on that, I believe the two sets are mixed up and whilst I'm not questioning the OP's assertion that all is well, something just doesn't sit right with me as it is currently connected.
i see what you mean. the 2 wires into the L1 terminals ( as ID'd by richard ) seem to be from separate cables. the top one appears to be a black sleeved red. would be good to see a pic of the cables entering the back box which should also show the presence ( or not ) of cpc's.

i see what you mean. the 2 wires into the L1 terminals ( as ID'd by richard ) seem to be from separate cables. the top one appears to be a black sleeved red. would be good to see a pic of the cables entering the back box which should also show the presence ( or not ) of cpc's.
pete, you got parkinsons? :(
Very funny, no Mate I thought I had better not post what I had written so I erased it, if that's what you were referring to.

My gut feeling is that at some point in the past, someone has changed the switch to the current one and mistakenly connected the red cores to the wrong half of the switch. It's probably working because (if it's wired how I'd do it), they are both live feeders from the relevant light fitting.

My gut feeling is that at some point in the past, someone has changed the switch to the current one and mistakenly connected the red cores to the wrong half of the switch. It's probably working because (if it's wired how I'd do it), they are both live feeders from the relevant light fitting.
Are the 3 cables at the 2 way a 3 core from the other 2way, and the 1 way wired as a L and S/L from the light operated via the 1 way?

Reply to Old double light switch wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net