Discuss On site guide single core Mv/A/m question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all

I have a quick question on using my on site guide. I've found this forum fantastic for help so far. It's quite simple.

I have a question which asks what the voltage drop for a single core 6mm² 70⁰c insulted cable for a single phase circuit is, enclosed in conduit.

Page 151 of the guide is the correct table to use. The table has two values, 7.3 and 6.4. There are two ref methods that are the same. The answer looks like 7.3 (3rd row as that's single phase) but row 6 states 6.4. Is row 6 for three phase or single phase? It's in the middle and difficult to tell.

Obviosuly you'll need to look in your guides, can't post a pic right now.

Thanks

It states at the very top of the table whether or not the column (not row) relates to a single phase or 3 phase circuit.

Column sorry! But column 6 is in the middle of both. I'm guessing it's three phase but wanted to clear it up.

Edit: You clearly wouldn't have two values for single phase either. I believe I've been given the wrong answer in class.

Last edited:
Hmmm I'm working from the green OSG, but the columns in table F4(ii) are clearly divided up in that book. Another possible misprint in the yellow OSG ?

In my copy column 6 is for three phase circuits, yes. Cross reference it with the table in the regs for clarity.

Last edited:
Assuming one of those two figures is correct, you can decide which one by working out whether the voltage drop will be higher on a single-phase or three-phase circuit. You might like to draw a diagram of voltages and currents and try the effect of introducing equal series resistances in each conductor. See if you can produce a ratio like 6.3/7.4...

Reply to On site guide single core Mv/A/m question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock