Discuss Pat Testing In A Rented Property - Which Appliances Need Testing? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I rent out a property and when the letting agents can be bothered to ask for a pat test cert it needs to be on all appliances that are fitted as part of the rental agreement, which in my property is the fridge, washing machine , oven and hob

All electrical appliances that are not part of the fixed wiring ought to be tested.
In practice the landlord will only pay for testing of items he owns.
The in service testing is a means of demonstrating that the landlord is complying with his requirement to not put tenants art risk.
Electric showers, storage heaters, panel heaters, cooker hood extracts, intermittent extraction fans, washing machines, dishwashers, fridges, all ought to be tested but very rarely are.

As a let property forms a business arrangement then all electrical appliances that belong as part of the tenancy agreement should be tested. I agree with Richards in that it will include all fixed appliances

Yes the fridge and dishwasher will nead testing and agree with Richard that any other fixed electrical equipment that is not covered by the eicr should be tested . I would say it does not include a gas boiler as i would say that is inspected during the gas check , Athough its known as PAT it is really insevice equipment inpection as PAT is for portable appliance testing , sorry being a bit pedantic :)

All electrical appliances that are not part of the fixed wiring ought to be tested.
In practice the landlord will only pay for testing of items he owns.
The in service testing is a means of demonstrating that the landlord is complying with his requirement to not put tenants art risk.
Electric showers, storage heaters, panel heaters, cooker hood extracts, intermittent extraction fans, washing machines, dishwashers, fridges, all ought to be tested but very rarely are.

Richard surely the electric shower is part of the fixed wiring the same as an extractor fan is,

Yes the fridge and dishwasher will nead testing and agree with Richard that any other fixed electrical equipment that is not covered by the eicr should be tested . I would say it does not include a gas boiler as i would say that is inspected during the gas check , Athough its known as PAT it is really insevice equipment inpection as PAT is for portable appliance testing , sorry being a bit pedantic :)

Flanders a boiler should definatly be tested under isitee.!

Of course now don't I feel daft :). I can tell you I have never seen a cental heating boiler have a test label on it and never been ask to test one before , but I guess your correct, old wet pants an't going to be testing the electrics.

Think the whole PAT testing issue is hilarious. Items getting tested left, right and centre for no reason other than to generate money for someone.

Think the whole PAT testing issue is hilarious. Items getting tested left, right and centre for no reason other than to generate money for someone.

Or is it that sparks who know what needs testing gets tested for the safety of the tennant and to satisfy the duty of care held by the landlord. Makes me laugh when firms will 'pat test' a panel heater on a plug top but not one in the next room wired into a sfcu. If the landlord provided copies of the eicr to 'pat testers' and showed what was and was not tested in the eicr then it would be clear that nothing is left untested.

I was in a hotel and noticed a PAT sticker on a blanking plate over what would have been a switch fused outlet to a towel heater. I can only imagine the only test was visual.

Reply to Pat Testing In A Rented Property - Which Appliances Need Testing? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net