• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss PFC on EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Came across a PFC result on an EICR today of 10KA. My meter is calibrated and I carry out monthly checks with a check box to ensure the on-going accuracy of the equipment and all tested fine up to today.

Im not sure if I should quote my customer for C type R.C.B.Os with a higher breaking capacity or advise her to notify her energy supplier

Never come across a PFC above 6KA before so never had to question this before. Please help!

You don't need to quote or change anything providing the upstream protective device has a greater rating than your 10KA

Ah haha. I'm with you now. Yeah the main fuse has a rating of 33KA and the measurement was on the supply side and not the final circuits. My bad, guess I just panicked and weren't thinking straight. Thanks for your help

Came across a PFC result on an EICR today of 10KA. My meter is calibrated and I carry out monthly checks with a check box to ensure the on-going accuracy of the equipment and all tested fine up to today.

Im not sure if I should quote my customer for C type R.C.B.Os with a higher breaking capacity or advise her to notify her energy supplier

Never come across a PFC above 6KA before so never had to question this before. Please help!

How on earth would a C type rcbo make any difference to the situation? If you need to replace the protective devices then they should be of the same type.

Are you sure it is 10kA and not just that 10kA is fsd for your meter?

Ah haha. I'm with you now. Yeah the main fuse has a rating of 33KA and the measurement was on the supply side and not the final circuits. My bad, guess I just panicked and weren't thinking straight. Thanks for your help

It doesn't matter about where the measurement was taken, the regulation concerning reliance on the upstream protection is the same regardless of where you take the measurement.

What code were you going to give this??

B types were installed at present with a 6KA B.C. Was an idea as the c types have a B.C rating of 10KA.
No the measurement was taken correctly. I got the result on a PSCC test. I'm not sure what you mean by fsd?
I was going to give it a code 2

B types were installed at present with a 6KA B.C. Was an idea as the c types have a B.C rating of 10KA.
No the measurement was taken correctly. I got the result on a PSCC test. I'm not sure what you mean by fsd?
I was going to give it a code 2

Why does it warrant a change in type? If you need to upgrade to 10kA mcbs then fit 10kA B types if they are replacing B types! I don't know what you mean by BC though?

I did not say that you had taken the measurement incorrectly, I said that 10kA may be the fsd of your tester as this was the case withthe two mfts I have used. Fsd being full scale deflection

And which regulation would you use to back up the C2 code you would have given?

I didn't know they did B types with 10 KA breaking capacity (B.C) so that's something new learnt for the day.
I hadn't looked for a reg number yet. This was something new that I come across and felt like I needed some input on the situation. I was going to give it a code 2 on the fact i thought it was a potential danger on the protective devices may not be able to disconnect safely in the event of a fault.

Full Scale Deflection. Nice one Dave you are showing your age mate! I've still got an old AVO, can't get it calibrated now though.

I didn't know they did B types with 10 KA breaking capacity (B.C) so that's something new learnt for the day.
I hadn't looked for a reg number yet. This was something new that I come across and felt like I needed some input on the situation. I was going to give it a code 2 on the fact i thought it was a potential danger on the protective devices may not be able to disconnect safely in the event of a fault.

BC is not the recognised term.
Icn is the rated short circuit capacity or Ics is the service short circuit capacity.

Most UK supplies are given a stated or 'by enquiry' PFC of 16kA for a single phase 100A supply by the DNOs.

How on earth does that relate to my being 29? I'm pretty sure it is still the correct term for the highest reading a meter can display?

He means the fact that FSD was a term originaly used for older style test equipment with analogue meters. The 'deflection' refers to the meter's needle moving across (being deflected) beyond the readable range of the meter scale. So the term is not strictly correct for digital readouts, but is obviously still used and means the same thing effectively. Daz

Reply to PFC on EICR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back